What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sportys/King Instrument DVD Courses

iwannarv

Well Known Member
Sportys/King Instrument DVD Courses?

Looking at tacking an instrument rating onto my ppl license. I'm in the process of talking with a couple instructors, and a training facility that has a couple IFR simulators I could get some cheaper time on while in school. My question is if anybody has had experience with the basic IFR DVD training videos that both Sporty's and King Schools offer. Which seemed to be more understandable/user friendly/more effectice/etc.?

Last edited:
King is better

Just my opinion, but I found my Sportys dvd's just so so. Still better than nothing, but i have seen some of the king stuff and I believe them to be much more detailed and thorough. JIMHO.

King is better

I have seem both and I think the King is slightly better. I just sold my King DVD set on eBay.

King and Gleim Worked for Me

I used the King computer based system (which I found to be excellent), supplemented by the Gleim Instrument Pilot Written Exam study guide, Richard L. Taylor's Instrument Flying, and the Jeppesen Instrument Commercial Manual.

For quick brush-up studying I used (and still refer to) a little handbook titled Instrument Flight Review from Flight Time Publishing (www.flight-time.com).

Worked out great for me.

David

Look at Cessna/King

Cessna/King has a DVD set that is for use with Cessna Flight schools but can be purchased direct as well. I just started using them (study only) and the nice thing is that they cover the test material plus actually preview and show how to fly the lesson plan for each flight lesson to cover all phases of the IFR rating.

It seems like it would be a great timesaver if you were using the Cessna school as you already know what each flight lesson is about before you arrive for the lesson. I feel like I wasted a good bit of time on my private as I was well prepared for the ground school portion did not know what to expect to do before each flight lesson.

I purchased mine from a CPC but I believe King sells them direct as well.

Andy

I just finished the King IFR DVDs about a month ago. I passed, something like 92% and still remember when to use which holding pattern entry and things of that nature, so I guess they work.

Note that if you want to pick them up used, you might not be able to use them on the PC - there's a significant amount of copy protection on them. I think they will still play on a DVD player, though.

TODR

One other thing. If you do see them on eBay. Make sure you are getting a recent copy for the latest tests. Some of the content doesn't change but you want to make sure you have the latest information. There are a lot of older ones floating around.

Has anyone used the Jep set of DVD's? I was talking a little to a flight instructor & these are what he suggested. On the other hand that is what he had for sale.

Shannon Evans
N5650S

Back