What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting Sequence

Frank Smidler

Well Known Member
I am planning to do my own painting on my airplane. I've already considered all the arguments about pro vs builder paint jobs. In my case I rather have a couple of paint runs and more money to fly. That said, I am trying to determine the best way to do it. I will be doing the painting before the first flight and before the wings are installed. I plan to take off the spinner, prop, elevators, rudder, flaps, ailerons fairing, wheel pants, etc. The following are some of the questions I have.

1. Is it better to paint the cowling on or off the fuselage?
1a. If the cowling is painted when off the fuselage how do you align the paint lines (2 tone paint planned)?

2. Is it better to paint the access panels in the wings and tail on or off?

3. Is it better to paint the wing tips on or off of the wing?

4. If the ailerons and flaps are painted off of the wing, how do you align the paint lines (considering a sunburst scheme)?

Thanks for your comments.

Paint everything you can separate from the main airplane. To get paint lines to match up, do your initial masking with the parts in place. Then remove the parts and finish masking edges and other details.

Paint Tech

One additional comment. You should paint the entire airplane with the base color first. Remove all panels and paint them seperately, including screws if you want them to match. If you are using a base/clear system then put two coats of clear over the base, then let that cure. Scuff sand or color sand to remove the gloss off the entire A/C. Add the second color and if time allows add the third and fourth coats of clear. Some paint systems allow up to 1 week between base and clear coats.

If you use a single stage system then you just scuff where additional colors will be added. Use a Fine Line tape from 3M or others. Masking tape will not give a clean edge.

I HIGHLY reccomend you call your local Comminity College and see if they have a class on automotive painting. It is hands on.
Tad "Stripes" Sargent
7A Painted my own "lots of work, not sure I would do it again, loved the results"

Back