What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another primer question

OLDSAM

Well Known Member
One issue I have not seen addressed in detail is the effect of priming (or not) on the resale value of RV's. I have started an RV7-A, and since I will probably be about 70 when I first fly it, priming of Alclad parts is not an issue as regards the service life vs. the length of time I will likely be flying it. I am priming the parts that are non-Alclad, and parts that can be exposed to weather (tip ribs, etc.) or susceptible to moisture collection (lower rudder extremity).
For the same reason (being old), it is likely that I will need to sell the airplane at some point. So, the only question about primer in my case is how much or how little it affects the resale price. Is there enough of a record in this area to make a reasonable estimate regarding the difference in resale value?

If I were buying an RV instead of building, primer would not make that much difference to me.

I have primed everything possible on my -7 but my next build will not be primed except for non alclad parts.

I might wonder if you didn't go to the time and slight expense of priming, then what else did you avoid doing?

But, many people will not even think of looking to see if the plane is primed or not, and if the plane is otherwise obviously well constructed, it would only be a minor concern unless they would be basing it in a humid, coastal area.

You don't have to go to great lengths to prime. Some light scuffing, an acetone wipe then hit it with some self etching primer. Use rattle can primer for the smaller parts. It will only add a few days to the cost of construction.

Back