What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Feb 9 (Sat) in Phoenix/Scottsdale Area

java

Well Known Member
I'm at a conference in Scottsdale for a week, and have booked my flight to arrive for the weekend before to get some warmer weather, get in a golf game, and (hopefully) hook up with an RV'er or two.

I'm fairly well along in my QB airframe (done the emp and wings, got my finish kit) and am still an RV 'virgin' who has yet to get 'the ride' :eek: so if anyone wants company in the air I'd be more than grateful and would pay for avgas. If not, would still be interested in seeing someone's project.

Any takers? I sure could use the motivation to get out in the cold garage and bang rivets back up here in Canada!

Many RV's in Chandler KCHD

Hello,

I won't be around that day, but make the short 20 minute drive to KCHD Chandler, AZ on any weekend morning. You'll see many hangars open with people building or getting ready for a weekend hop.

There is a nice cafe, the Hangar Cafe, next to Chandler Air Service. Sorry, I don't have all the links, but look it up. I've only flown a 6a, and just met a RV7 taildragger owner who offered me a ride on our first meet!

Good group of people!

Freddie

I'm at a conference in Scottsdale for a week, and have booked my flight to arrive for the weekend before to get some warmer weather, get in a golf game, and (hopefully) hook up with an RV'er or two.

I'm fairly well along in my QB airframe (done the emp and wings, got my finish kit) and am still an RV 'virgin' who has yet to get 'the ride' :eek: so if anyone wants company in the air I'd be more than grateful and would pay for avgas. If not, would still be interested in seeing someone's project.

Any takers? I sure could use the motivation to get out in the cold garage and bang rivets back up here in Canada!

Feb 9 ride

Jase, I'd be glad to give you a ride. I have an RV8A, N4ZJ, flying for 6 years now w/ 950 hrs. KCHD is a good place to meet. Contact me at [email protected] and we can make arrangements. Jeff Farrar

Thanks Jeff!

Well, I finally got my RV ride. Talk about motivation!

Jeff Farrar picked me up at Chandler muni and we spent a fabulous hour tooling around the skys of Arizona in his 8A. Jeff was kind enough to let me fly from the back seat for some of the time, and my first impression was how responsive the plane was, but... it was easy! No twitchiness or feeling of teetering on an edge at any time.

Jeff did a power off stall and held the stick back and the plane just burbled along floating down like a leaf with no significant tendency to drop a wing. He tried to do a departure stall, but at full throttle, an insane deck angle and still 50fpm climb with the AOA going off in our headsets, the engine was getting warm and he dropped the nose to get some airflow. It seemed like we hung on the prop forever.

We were too heavy (and no chutes) for acro, but I felt my first 3G turn and we did a Chandelle... both very cool. I started hooting and laughing in the midst of the turn and Jeff straightened it out thinking that I was about to hurl or something:eek:, but I was having a ball.

Props also to the Chandler airport. The Hanger Cafe has awesome breakfast burritos. Chandler Air Service also does tailwheel and acro training in Great Lakes and Pitts aircraft. I'm thinking of going down for a vacation/training week once I get my plane built.

Anyway, thanks Jeff. You made my week.

Back