What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NACA vent inlet on -8 cowl?

Alan Erickson

Any thoughts or experience on mounting a NACA inlet on the lower cowl for fresh air? I've read of -4s doing this quite happily, but haven't dredged anything up on -8s or similar.

I'd like to have my fresh and hot air both on the fwd side of the firewall feeding a mixing valve, e.g. Spruce 08-00629, so I'm considering mounting a NACA inlet on the bottom or side of my lower cowl (I'm using horz. induction; no intake scoop). I'd be interested in your thoughts, especially on anticipated airflow vs. mounting location and ease of cowl removal (I'm considering Skybolt despite 'ye gods!' price).

Another option would be to steal some air from the stbd nostril, so I'd be interested in peoples' experience with that -- but I'm loathe to steal any engine cooling air here in NM...

Thanks!

I mounted a 2.5 inch NACA duct on my -6As lower front cowling, left side, to bring oil to the turbochargers compressor. Seems to work fine but cutting though the honeycomb here and getting a nice edge finish is difficult, Getting to the hose clamp for the SCAT while balancing the cowling on your knes is no fun. I also had a 2 inch NACA duct mounted on the left side face of the lower cowling at one time to feed intercooler air. This was much easier to connect a hose to without balancing the cowling but same thing with the honeycomb applies.

There are some pix of various scoops here: http://www.sdsefi.com/air41.htm

Back