What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mattituck Engine Building Class

ptrotter

Well Known Member
Today I attended Mattituck's engine building class at their shop. They built a complete carborated TMX-360 while we watched. We had the opportunity to ask every question imaginable anjd learned quite a bit. The guys from Mattituck were great, answering every question and letting us in on little tricks they have developed over many years of engine building. I highly recommend this class for anyone who wants to see how an engine goes together, whether you want to build one yourself or just understand how its done. They have another class scheduled for March 19th that still has some space left. Contack Mahlon Russel at Mattituck for more information.

Ummmm, "Ditto, what he said"!

The shindig was the BOMB!

Hard to beat at any price and it was FREE! Unfortunately, you WILL end up spending big bling there... but you get a wicked good engine in return!

GO in March!

You WON'T regret it!

:rolleyes: CJ

RV Engine Clinic at Mattituck-Vern's take on it

RV Engine Clinic at Mattituck -Vern Darley ([email protected])

Twenty mostly RV'ers gathered this weekend at the world-famous Mattituck Engine Overhaul facility on Long Island. Engine guru Mahlon Russell hosted the free TMX 360 sessions.

A TMX -360 engine was assembled. The group was shown techniques Mattituck has learned in over a sixty years of working on aircraft engines. The group contained a number of professional A&Ps/AI's. All commented on how much they had learned and how worthwhile the day was.

As the engine was assembled, staff showed us various 'gotchas' that could make even the assembly of a new engine from brand new parts produce numerous life-shortening errors. We were shown various assembly problems that are common place, especially with gear assemblies, pushrods, lifter clearances, and bearing installs.

Mahlon was a great host and provided breakfast and lunch for the group. Afterwards, a number of us were given a private tour of the Matttituck antique auto museum on site at the airport. Of course, the tour of the Mattituck engine shops was most impressive. It culminated with running a TMX 360 in the fully-instrumented test stand.

Later a number of us went to a seaside restaurant for what was the best session of the day: learning about aircraft engines as we sat around a fine meal feasting on Mahlon and John's combined 55 years aircraft engine experience.

Mahlon plans on hosting another free seminar in March. I urge you to attend if you have any questions about engines. Mahlon's phone number is 800 624-6680 ext 305.

In a few days I hope to have pix uploaded on www.FalconRV.com

Vern Darley

I got some:

mat1.jpg

Nice JUGS! That is 5 grand sitting there!

mat3.jpg

This statement I liked. It was on a Sky Tec starter.

mat5.jpg

mat6.jpg

It was a great time!

8) CJ

Back