What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM1000c

Dg800a

I'm New Here
I have a VM1000c which I have not installed. It is 2 years old The company has recalled it and will replace it, sensors and all, with a new system.
With all the troubles the VM 1000c has had, I wonder if the new unit will be reliable.
Has anyone had experience with the newer models?
Any advice whether to install the new unit or sell it and use a Dynon or AFS system?
Last week on ebay an unused new VM1000c sold for 1300$, which suggests no too many people want them!

WOW! I'm in the same boat as you.
Why are they taking (exchanging) your unit (is it defective)?
Mine is two years old and I'm getting ready to install -- should I contact them first ??
Are they replacing it with the same type unit or something different ??
Keep us posted.
Sorry for so many questions but your timing is perfect.
Thanks
Bob

New VM 1000C

I have been dealing with this with a few of my customers. Let me give you a quick discription of events involving Vision Microsystems. Lance Turk (original owner of VMS) designed and developed the first generation of the VM 1000C's. He was still working on some code that would be downloaded by the user to enable all the original advertized functions.

As you may or may not know, JPI Instruments bought VMS from Lance and within a few months shut down the business in Bellingham WA and moved it to Texas. Well not completely, some of the equipment went to a new facility in Texas while some went to the JPI headquaters in CA.

JPI had a similar product (EDM-900) and decided it would be easier to support one product packaged in two different displays (the VM-1000C and the EDM-900). Basically the original VM-1000C's innards and remote transducers were gutted and replaced with JPI's EDM-900's hardware and software(a variation of). I had some customers who had the original VM 1000c and when we started encountering problems with software JPI was having a hard time supporting it and we were not getting good results. To their credit they offered a NO CHARGE exchange for anybody with an original VM 1000C. This is not only an exchange for the programmer/display but all the engine probes as well. The wiring pinout is different and if already installed would mean completely rewiring the unit to all the probes as well.

My advise to you is if you have the unit, take advantage of the exchange as you basically have an orphaned product.

Of my customers who have exchanged their units, (One in a Lancair IV-P with TSIO-500E and one with a RV10 with IO-540) one is having no problems at all and the other reported problems with saving fuel calibrations. This is being looked at by VMS as they have the resources and means to troubleshoot the software and fix it.

Jason Smith
Production Supervisor
Aerotronics Inc.

How were you notified?

I have a VM1000C which I have installed, but have yet to fire up. I purchased this from aircraft spruce just shy of 2 years ago. How were you notified that JPI would exchange your unit?

When I inquired...

I have a VM1000C which I have installed, but have yet to fire up. I purchased this from aircraft spruce just shy of 2 years ago. How were you notified that JPI would exchange your unit?

I was notified when I called to ask them about a different issue at the end of last summer. Since I was only a month away from certification and everything appeared to be working, I opted not to do the exchange and rewire the whole thing. Incidentally, the upgrade comes with the wiring harness pre-built, so it's not nearly as time consuming as the first generation where you built your own harness. This sure was fun, wasn't it?

vm4-w.jpg

They told me the software glitch in the original unit had to do with the primary and secondary fuel level functions (one for tail up, one for tail down). They also said to make sure the secondary fuel level calibration data was completely zeroed out if you're only using the primary data and that you shouldn't have any issues.

I use only the primary (flight attitude) fuel level data and accept the fact that my fuel gauges will be wrong in the ground attitude. The resistive float senders that I use have some variability anyway, so it really doesn't make any difference to me operationally.

I've had no issues with the VM-1000c in 50 hours of flying. I originally thought I would upgrade the unit and rewire after getting the plane in the air, but now I've changed my mind. When/if I upgrade, I'll be going to something that's a few generations beyond the VM-1000 series with more functionality and a better display. The VM-1000 series can only display one CHT and one EGT at a time, so I find myself cycling through them quite often. That's obviously not ideal. Also, the original VM-1000c manual omits a lot of information that would be really nice to know. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that the original manual just plain sucks.

Last edited:
How to tell an "old" one??

I got my 1000C about 2 years ago. I'm guessing its an orphaned unit, but is there a way to tell?

Sure would be the right time for me to get the new unit installed, as I'm smack-dab in the middle of all the wiring now.

Yeah, I got my VM1000C replaced

I got mine replaced by Visions. One problem was that it took about
three months to get back from them. I wasnt in a big hurry so I didnt
push it, but it caused me to shift my work order.

Once received, the unit looks like an improvment over the original. Data
output and other features Im sure I havent figured out yet. Lot of the
probes are different and may require rearrangement of their mounting.
Fortunately, the fuel flow transducer is the same. The completed
harness is nice.

If you are thinking of switching, do it before you mount too many sensors
or wiring. I was about half way along when I heard second hand about
the replacement option. Im my case, Im glad I did.

I've had a 1000C in my 6A for 7 years with no problems. I don't have fuel level sensors (I use a separate gauge) just the flow indicator and fuel remaining. It's about time for a battery change in the thing and I'm not looking forward to it. Has anyone done this and does anyone know if JPI has the batteries available?

6A flying, waiting for -12

VM1000c pressure senders

Hello,

I'm installing the VM1000c and there are 3 pressure senders,, (fuel, oil and manifold) they are marked whith 15 psi,, 50 psi,, and 100 psi which one is for each element???,, thanks for your help,,,

panel_9_12.jpg

based on the process
100 psi- oil
50 psi - fuel
15 psi - manifold. is this 15 psia or just 15 psi? I would think psia

Had a vm1000 in my glasair for many years. Absolutely no problems. Actually had more problems with my AFS2005 [faulty back light]
The build quality of the vmc unit is real good.

VMS 1000c Fuel

Does anyone have the procedure for initial set-up for the fuel calibration of the instrument to my float senders. Adding a small amount of fuel at a time is the method I've heard however how is that entered and saved? I spoke with JPI and they said I needed an eprom for the unit and they are not available ??? Any help thanks

I found the calibration file is just ASCII format and can be edited directly in Notepad.
I messed around with their procedure, but after a few tries finally just edited it directly and loaded that.

Unless I am misunderstanding your question the fuel gauges can be calibrated using the buttons on the VM1000C display. The procedure is in the manual.

Fin
9A

VM1000C Manual

I have an older version of the VM1000C Engine Monitor -- pre JPI and am looking for a copy of the installation manual. The one I have is for the later version from JPI.
Thanks,
Jerry Folkerts

Back