What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would this panel be IFR legal?

RV7Panel.jpg

Dynon FlightDek with HS34 (is the HSI IFR legal?)
Backup airspeed, altimeter.
compass
Trutrak ADI II autopilot
PS8000 audio panel
garmin sl-30 nav/com
transponder
Fuel gauges

Optional:

Garmin 496.

What do you think?

Min IFR equipment

these people have a nice .pdf that lays out the regs.
Page 6 has the list of minimum equipment.

http://www.americanflyers.net/iraground/iragroundch1.pdf

I think you have it covered. Maybe just a clock.

One question for someone else... The clock? legally, should it be mounted in the aircraft? Can a wrist watch suffice? I had digital timer mounted to the yoke and nonbody's ever said a word about it.

FAA regs. other countries may vary.

The digital transponder has a timer on it, I think that it will sufice.

I guess the big question I have is if the Dynon HSI is legal for IFR ops.

I think so

The digital transponder has a timer on it, I think that it will sufice.

I guess the big question I have is if the Dynon HSI is legal for IFR ops.

My panel is very similar to this in terms on content. I have 2 D10s and use one for the AI and one for the HSI. I use the timer on my transponder.

I don't see why the HSI wouldn't be legal.

Panel looks like it would be a very "lite-IFR" capable panel.

Okay, I have a stupid question, does the Dynon FlightDek with HS34 also have glideslope capability on the HSI? That would make it much nicer IMO.

Yes, the D180 has inherent glideslope capability when driven by an SL30, but takes the HS34 to work with a Garmin 430/530.

This configuration is much like the one I've been flying with for the last two years, and it works fine. I have, however, been faced with more and more destinations that have only a GPS approach. There are workarounds, but I see installing an IFR GPS in the next year.

--Marc

GS on HSI?

Yes, the D180 has inherent glideslope capability when driven by an SL30, but takes the HS34 to work with a Garmin 430/530.

This configuration is much like the one I've been flying with for the last two years, and it works fine. I have, however, been faced with more and more destinations that have only a GPS approach. There are workarounds, but I see installing an IFR GPS in the next year.

--Marc

The previous post mentions GS on the HSI display, is that where you get it, I thought there was some kind of flight director display on the EFIS display? I am just learning about the various units, but can you shed some light? Thanks in advace.

Cheers

When I read the regs they said that you need an analog clock or digital with an analog face that has a sweep second hand. Using the digital clock on your transponder wont work for the FAA. Looks like that's all you'll need though. Do any hand held GPS units qualify for IFR?

Our company has flown 5.5 million passenger/miles PT. 135 IFR with no "analog face showing sweep second hand". FAA inspects us regularly. They are happy seeing us use either the GNS 430 auto timer on the nav page or the TXPR timer.

When I read the regs they said that you need an analog clock or digital with an analog face that has a sweep second hand. Using the digital clock on your transponder wont work for the FAA. Looks like that's all you'll need though. Do any hand held GPS units qualify for IFR?

Last edited:
When I read the regs they said that you need an analog clock or digital with an analog face that has a sweep second hand. Using the digital clock on your transponder wont work for the FAA.

QUOTE from FAR:

Part 91.205 Powered civil aircraft with standard category US airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirments.

(d)(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.

The previous post mentions GS on the HSI display, is that where you get it, I thought there was some kind of flight director display on the EFIS display? I am just learning about the various units, but can you shed some light? Thanks in advace.

Cheers

Nemo, in this case the HS34 is getting it's info for the GS on the HSI display from the SL-30. Dynon supports the NAV head function displayed as satisfying the IFR requirement for a NAV head.

Like others have said, you would be limited to VOR/LOC/ILS, sans DME, approaches, with no enroute or terminal GPS capabilities, but doable. OH how I would hate to go back to the victor airway days:eek:

The previous post mentions GS on the HSI display, is that where you get it, I thought there was some kind of flight director display on the EFIS display?

Two ways to see the nav display.

1. As part of the HSI page, which is nominally the right one-third of the display. The new version of the software allows you to put the HSI on the left side as well.

2. As an overlaid CDI on the horizon. Actually, it'll do both, with the vertical and lateral CDIs shown even with the HSI on the 1/3 page. There is also a heading reference carat on the heading tape line at the top, along with a ground track pointer. This feature makes flying a selected course simple; align the desired track with the ground track and you're there!

--Marc

Geesh. You would ask me that question!

IIRC, there's a toggle in the Clutter menu on the D-100 (would be the same for the D-180) that enables the on-screen CDI regardless of the HSI presentation. It will follow either the VOR/LOC or GPS, and will even show the pseudo glidelope put out by the Garmin 396/496.

The only thing I don't like about this setup is that you have to go to the HSI page (just show the HSI on the one-third screen) to change nav sources. That's without the HS34.

Overall, though, it works really well, though I'm still old school enough that I like to fly actual approaches with the HSI visible and not just rely on the course indicators on the attitude display itself.

--Marc

Back