What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inside room

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I got a ride in a friends newly completed RV-6A today. I had an absolute blast. This is only my second time in an RV of any kind. I still haven't flown in a 9. Talk about blind faith. I'm about halfway through the wings and starting to think about ordering the fuse. My question is this. I was under the impression that the cabin area was larger on the 7 than the six. I was a little supprised by the lack of shoulder room in the six. I'm only 5-6" and 140 lbs and the pilot was probably 5-11" and 180 lns. It seemed a little cramped. My wife is small too so I don't see any real problems but a little more room sure would be nice. The specs show the interior to exactly the same on the 9, 7 and the 6 except for the height of the canopy. I thought the cabin was wider on the new versions but I guess not. :confused: Anyway the RV-6 handled like a dream. You just put a little pressure on the stick and it starts changing direction right now. To be that responsive it is still rock solid and smooth. I can't wait until mine is finished and flying. :D
Jim Wright RV-9A 90919 wings Northern Arkansas

Fuselage size

The 7 & 9 Fuselage is a bit longer and the canopy a bit taller, but yes as you discovered the width is the same.

In the end it's all about how much room you need to be "comfortable" I am about 250lbs and I have taken passengers as large as 300. We were packed in tight, but no worse than a 172.

I'm 6'3", 235 and no. 1 son is 6'5" 185 lbs. We fly in my RV-6 w/o problems. We've flown a 9A as well, and it's much the same...maybe slightly more head/leg room.

Thanks for the information. My wife and I were comfortable in our 172 so we should be fine in the nine. An extra 50 MPH sure will be nice. My friend is killing me with his new RV-6. He keeps flying over my farm going from our airport to his which is about 30 miles apart and in a direct line. I can't help running outside and looking up just like a little kid. It's a great incentive though.

Jim 90919 RV-9A wings

Back