What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans VA-188 bracket

az_gila

Well Known Member
While I was looking through the "text list" on Vans web site, I found this reference...

VA-188 FLO-SCAN MOUNT BRACKT $11.00

I don't remember it being mentioned in any of the many discussions on mounting flow sensors....:)

Does any know what the part is, where it goes, and if it's model specific?

gil A

While I was looking through the "text list" on Vans web site, I found this reference...

VA-188 FLO-SCAN MOUNT BRACKT $11.00

I don't remember it being mentioned in any of the many discussions on mounting flow sensors....:)

Does any know what the part is, where it goes, and if it's model specific?

gil A
shipped with the RV-10 kit but not specific to RV-model. The holes are aligned for the original Flo-scan so if you are using the EI "Red cube" you will have to adjust the hole placement. Below is the pre-drilled holes, if you notice the EI "Red cube" has the mounting holes in a different location.

Click on picture for larger view.

On the floor...

shipped with the RV-10 kit but not specific to RV-model. The holes are aligned for the original Flo-scan so if you are using the EI "Red cube" you will have to adjust the hole placement. Below is the pre-drilled holes, if you notice the EI "Red cube" has the mounting holes in a different location.

Thanks William,

I presume it goes on the floor between the fuel selector and the firewall. Right?

gil A

Thanks William,

I presume it goes on the floor between the fuel selector and the firewall. Right?

gil A
Yup. That's correct. The vendors quibble about putting the flow transducer AFTER the mechanical fuel pump or fuel servo but folks that have put it in the Vans recommended location (after electrical pump, before mech. pump) report accurate results. For this reason and the less harsh environment, I'll stick with this placement.

Will this work for a 9A

It looks to me that there is more room on the RV-10 to place things like the Floscan transducer between the fuel selector and fuel pump. It appears on my plans that the transducer will not fit under the F-982C cover plate. I could possibly mount it inside on the firewall between the fuel pump and gascolator maybe utilizing the VA-188 mounting plate. I have seen on some builder sites where they just mount it above the gascolator on the engine side of firewall and just fabricate a bracket and use a U shaped fuel line.

Just some feedback on what may be the best method would be helpful.

Thanks,

fuel injection

if you are carbed you will not be able to mount it in the plane and it be between pumps. some have but then you will require filters before the pump. you will be sucking through the transducer and the filters which has been working for some folks. this is not an ideal set up. but others may say its fine. you'll have to decide that for yourself.

note for me ideal is the pump pushing through the filters and transducer. preferably but not practical is having a boost pump in the wing roots. i put a holley pump on a truck (known to car people as the blue pump) and installed it in the engine bay it vapaor locked on a regular basis until i put it at the tank. this aint no little facet pump btw it has oodles of output.

Last edited:
Will Curtis,

Begging your pardon, but how is it that the xducer mounts onto that plate with the mounting holes on the plate being diagonal and the ones on the xducer being parallel?

What am I missing?

:confused: CJ

he did mention

Will Curtis,

Begging your pardon, but how is it that the xducer mounts onto that plate with the mounting holes on the plate being diagonal and the ones on the xducer being parallel?

What am I missing?

:confused: CJ

The holes are aligned for the original Flo-scan so if you are using the EI "Red cube" you will have to adjust the hole placement. Below is the pre-drilled holes, if you notice the EI "Red cube" has the mounting holes in a different location.
adjusting hole placement.

Back