What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vegas, Death Valley and in-flight weather decisions

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
Part 1 of 2

After my trips back east a hangar neighbor suggested going to the west coast. Although I had planned a neat trip to Catalina Island, Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks, I settled on a quickie trip to Death Valley, Las Vegas and Monument Valley. Rick decided to go with me. One weather cancellation and we finally departed early on 13 January. I had checked Weathermeister.com and noticed airmets for IFR and mountain obscuration in the southwest Colorado and Utah areas. Page AZ was overcast but projected to improve. Las Vegas and Death Valley were good.

Rick departs from the Denver area and is overhead when I taxi out to the runway. The trip across the mountains is uneventful but fog in the Gunnison area would have made a precautionary landing iffy. As we crossed the Utah border we saw apparent clouds or similar in the distance that may have gone to the ground. We contact Flight Watch and got the same info for possible mountain obscuration as revealed by Weathermeister so it was correct ahead (not over our path in Colorado). They had no actual weather observations so we headed south. After a short while I looked at fueling options and without knowing exactly where we might finally get clear weather in our desired path, I got this funny feeling that it was not good to proceed. It does happen at times in other endeavors and usually my genetic makeup discounts the feeling. This time I acted on it, discussed it with Rick (he was thinking the same thing) and we both agreed to turn back and land at Blanding Utah to refuel and check the weather. In the picture below you will see that turnaround in the upper right part of the map.

Vegas2Small.jpg

Due to our early departure we did not have visible satellite imagery of our flight path. It is possible that having XM weather data might have helped but it also may have just meant a landing at Blanding without that wasted 100 plus mile diversion to the south. If someone knows of a website of historical weather pics that might help in post trip analysis.

On the ground in Blanding we decided to head west since the weather appeared to be marginal well into Arizona. Once airborne it was obvious that the situation had improved enough to safely continue. The following picture shows Lake Powell and the clouds that were closer to the ground earlier. In fact Navajo Mountain (between Monument valley and Page, AZ) was obscured on its eastern and possibly southern faces so that area was IFR.

LakePowellSmall.jpg

This picture shows Rick as we approached the Lake Powell area. Somewhere on the way out Rick noted the importance of Oxygen to fly high. The terrain is not conducive to nice off-field landings and some areas have few roads. Cell phone coverage is probably non-existant which is why I carry a 406 MHz PLB and when flying alone use flight following.

RickPowellSmall.jpg

As we approached Nevada we picked up flight following before contacting Las Vegas approach. We flew almost over Henderson Executive (KHND) so Rick could see and photograph Las Vegas to the north. We continued west over two more mountain ranges to get to Death Valley. The next picture is of the Badwater area which I think is the lowest in the USA.

BadwaterBasinSmall.jpg

This is my trusted airplane on the ramp at Furnace Creek (L06) at an altitude of –210 feet MSL.

FurnaceCreekRampSmall.jpg

The trip back to Henderson was uneventful except that I made a mistake talking to approach control. The guy I got was not helpful and only leads me to blow off contacting ATC to contribute to safe and orderly traffic flow. In fact, if I have to do it again in that area...maybe everywhere...I will just fly according to all approved and accepted VFR rules and not talk to ATC. It may have the effect of causing airliners to divert around me but when ATC wants to be rude and unhelpful to a GA pilot, I will quit playing nice.

Vegas was Vegas. It is not going to be a frequent repeat destination. Part two discusses the return trip.

Last edited:
Part 2

We took a taxi back to Henderson around 8 AM since the first free shuttle would not arrive until 1030 AM which would have been problematic for sunlight at home. Our plan was to cross the Grand Canyon, fly up Marble Canyon, fly to Monument Valley then refuel at Cortez, CO.

This picture is of the region a bit southwest of our canyon crossing:

GrandCanyon1Small.jpg

This is me approaching the south rim of the Grand Canyon:

RonGrandCanyonSmall.jpg

Here is Rick over Marble Canyon:

RickMarbleCanyonSmall.jpg

Here are the mittens in Monument Valley:

MittensSmall.jpg

Finally here are the mountains to the left as we cross Wolf Creek Pass:

WolfCreekPassSmall.jpg

The rest of the trip home was also uneventful. According to Rick we traveled about 1600 miles and over eleven hours of flying. Rick has now been to the highest and lowest airports in the continental US and may now be motivated to get his oxygen system installed.

Last edited:
Nice Write Up!

Thanks for the write up and the pictures! I've been meaning to fly out to Death Valley for over a year now...this winter it will happen. It's not quite as exciting or scenic as a flight for me though, I'll be heading out of Santa Moncia, and in a C172 no less.

I love the pics of the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley...just the motivation I need to actually build an RV....one of these days.

-John
Planning to build an RV....someday:rolleyes:

Great pictures!
I flew out of North Las Vegas for a couple years and have flown thru and landed in Death Valley many times along with flying over Lake Mead and the Grand Canyon. It brings back great memories.
Death Valley was covered with water my first time. It was cool seeing the altimeter go negative.

One of these days should be TODAY!

John,

That idea of "One of these days" can easily be supplanted with a purchase of Van's Preview Plans. Visit an RV-* builder, past or present, and you will see that getting one of these airplanes is just a series of little jobs, taken in sequence, one at a time, and ends with an airplane that goes places, efficiently, and with some style!

The water is fine, jump in with the rest of us. My RV-9A has a serial number of 90622 (622nd customer to order an RV-9 tail kit). It was the 155th completed and flown RV-9 or RV-9A. The Hobbs meter will tick over 240 hours on my next flight. I started my kit in October 2002 and made the first flight on June 9, 2005. Check out my web site listed below and see the highlights of the building process, the travel photos, and videos.

...I made a mistake talking to approach control. The guy I got was not helpful and only leads me to blow off contacting ATC to contribute to safe and orderly traffic flow. In fact, if I have to do it again in that area...maybe everywhere...I will just fly according to all approved and accepted VFR rules and not talk to ATC. It may have the effect of causing airliners to divert around me but when ATC wants to be rude and unhelpful to a GA pilot, I will quit playing nice.
That's the way I am with Cleveland Class B now. Every time I've tried it, it has turned out to be that I would have been better off just being an obstacle to them.

Great trip report and pictures. Monument valley has been on my To Do list for years - I need to just do it!

Paul

It starts with preview plans...

Oh yeah! Very nice write up. Monument Valley, G.Canyon etc. This is just the kind of trip I am planning to make. Just another month or two and I'll be at first flight. Thanks for sharing. It keeps us who are still building inspired!

CAUTION: Read below at your own risk!

1. I bought the preview plans. My rationale, "Heck it's just a few bucks if nothing else it's good "techno-head" reading.

2. After 3 days of reading, "Shoot, this doesn't look that hard. Most of the building skills needed for the build I aquired in high school"

3. "Hey look, the emp. kit is less than $1500. I'd spend way more than that in counseling sessions after that last break-up with what's her name."

4. "Shoot this is easy! Look, the tail section of an aircraft is in my garage! Hmmmmmm, how much was that wing kit?"

5. "QB what? You mean it's only about $6/hr labor for the QB and I'm in a year earlier?"

(See where I'm going with this...)

Just start. You will find you adjust for the time it takes to spend a few hours here and there, a weekend, holidays off etc. Next thing you know people you never knew show up at your garage door begging to help and you find instant camaraderie and assistance plus a chance to infect them with the same "build an airplane" compulsion. And suddenly, there is an aircraft waiting for you to climb in and fly over the G. Canyon, Yellowstone Park, the beaches of Florida, Mexico etc. etc.

If you're waiting to get younger it's not happenin...

Thanks Ron! (I think that there are a lot of geology field trips in my future, since I'm marrying into the profession....)

Oh, and if you don't make your living as a photogrpaher....you might want to conisder it!

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Paul

I have taken many hundreds of photos in those two slot canyons (upper and lower Antelope Canyon). With a digital camera it is easy. My aerial photography leaves much to be desired. Flying with one hand and holding a camera with the other..trying to compose a shot, fighting turbulence, etc, just conspires against getting the kind of shots that Doug gets.

Santa Monica

Thanks for the write up and the pictures! I've been meaning to fly out to Death Valley for over a year now...this winter it will happen. It's not quite as exciting or scenic as a flight for me though, I'll be heading out of Santa Moncia, and in a C172 no less.

I love the pics of the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley...just the motivation I need to actually build an RV....one of these days.

-John

John,

Can you recomend aircraft rentals at Santa Monica or the area that has cirrus rentals?

ajay

Cirrus at Santa Monica

Ajay,

The only place on the field at Santa Moncia that rents the Cirrus is Justice (www.justiceaviation.com). Last I checked it was $220/hour and you had to have an instrument rating. Krueger (kruegeraviation.com) is the Cirrus dealer on the field, but I don't think they rent them.

And to all the kind words and encouragement about getting going on that build, I thank you! I have had a flight in an RV, thanks to Mr. Dan Checkoway for that. It was two years ago this April that we went for that spin and I still have the RV grin to this day. I'm just time poor right now, between work, the wife, and a baby on the way I don't get to fly as much as I'd like, let alone build a plane. Plus, the wife isn't to crazy about me taking over the garage for the forseeable future. In the next few years I'll probably be a buyer, and then later a builder.

That being said, if any SoCal RV guys ever need a co-pilot or just a passanger to pay for the fuel and lunch definitely look me up, I'm always looking for an RV ride.

-John

Just made the trip

I just flew the trip from Fullerton to Furnace creek yesterday. It was a great trip. Flew through the Trona gap but no issues. I was even cleared to overfly parts of the restricted area at or above 6000.

But here is the funny part. The Lake airplane was still there. I don't know if its based there or not. There was also a piper that was going to be there for a while. Apparently they came in the night before and ran off the runway. Bent the prop and nose gear.

Lunch at the Inn was good. We took the shuttle van there and then just walked back.

Loved it!

Ron:

I loved your photographic records of your trip. You did a good job taking those. I agree that the turbulence, etc., conspire against good photography so I have to settle for my "memories are made of this" photographs.

I have made the trip over this area many times and it always thrills me. Whenever I have my CD along I have to play "The Magnificent 7" in Monument Valley. He,he!

Thanks for the write-up.

"The Magnificent 7"

Ron:

I loved your photographic records of your trip. You did a good job taking those. I agree that the turbulence, etc., conspire against good photography so I have to settle for my "memories are made of this" photographs.

I have made the trip over this area many times and it always thrills me. Whenever I have my CD along I have to play "The Magnificent 7" in Monument Valley. He,he!

Thanks for the write-up.

Is that the Clash?

Hans

Back