What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Measurement request

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

The tail kit is here, and the rest is working it's way through the system. I do have a couple questions to help me decide on finishing kit details though.

Headroom:

On my previous -3 was an early, unfinished project when I got it. The previous builder had a sliding canopy partly completed, but I have no idea if that canopy bubble was the same as what you get with kits now. Since my head was touching the inside of that canopy, and I wanted a tip-over anyway, I ended up getting a custom canopy from Todd's Canopies with 3" more headroom.

My question is about headroom using the current production canopy. The next time someone needs an excuse to sit in their plane and make airplane noises <g>, could you take a couple measurements for me? What I'd like to know is how much headroom you have with no seat cushion (eliminates variables). To make this meaningful, I'll also need your "seated height" (sitting on the floor, back to the wall). I'm 6'1", but it's all neck, so my seated height is 39", and this has been a problem in every Van's design except for the -8.

Thanks,
Rusty

Last edited:
Back