What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 on grass

R

RV_Tom

Hello everyone,

Being new to flying and just dreaming of a RV at this point, I am wondering how the tri grear RV-12 will differ from the other A models as far as landing on a grass strip.

I am not trying to dig into the " make a good landing " posts, but I am just wondering what the diference is as far as the RV12 nose gear.

Just learning here I hope.:eek:

Thanks all.

Tom

RV-12 On Grass

Your question is right on!!
This is exactly why so many of us are asking for a taildraqgger version of the RV-12. Sure hope Van's folks are listening.

Tom

I'm not too big on the -12 myself, but if I recall the pictures I've seen of it, (I'll review my calendar picture after I post this), It does not have the Whitman<---Sp? style gear on the nose. It has a Cessna looking Oleo strut type nose gear, so there is no fork to dig into the ground. Seems like it would be even more suited to landing on turf than a -A model RV.

JMHO

...It does not have the Whitman<---Sp? style gear on the nose. It has a Cessna looking Oleo strut type nose gear, so there is no fork to dig into the ground. Seems like it would be even more suited to landing on turf than a -A model RV.

JMHO
The original RV-12 prototype had a Cessna style oleo nose gear leg. The latest version shown in pictures has spring steel gear similar to the other tri-gear RVs.

http://vansaircraft.com/public/rv-12int.htm

Look at bottom for current drawing.

The production plane will have the similar nose gear as the other "nose" dragger RV's. It will operate out of grass strips just fine and will have no significant issues. Thier are thousands of Kitfox, Avids, Zenith's, Rans S-6, RV's Etc.. and we still fly them into Moose Creek Idaho, Alvord Desert oregon and Tieton State in the cascades. Just like a taildragger, it requires proper technique. The advantage the RV-12 will have over most other RV's is it's low stall speed and lighter weight which will make "rough" field operations easier. Another HUGE advantage using the Rotax is if you have prop strike it causes no damage to the engine, Just the prop.

Rotax?

"Another HUGE advantage using the Rotax is if you have prop strike it causes no damage to the engine, Just the prop".

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have never flown behind- nor have I ever researched the Rotax. Please explain your quote above, just to satisfy my curiousity.

Thanks-

This only applies to the newer Rotax 912's (1999 & newer if I recall). They have what is called a slipper clutch in the gear box. It is designed to slip if a predetermined torque value is reached. The engine has a pressed crankshaft similar to a motorcycle or snowmobile so they can twist at the pressed joints if their is a sudden stopage under load. You also have low rpm "rattle" that occurs if you let the engine idle to low and if you have a heavy prop it will potentially cause damage to the crank and gear box. Hence the slipper clutch. Contrary to some, the clutch won't fail like a car clutch in flight. You can run a 912 at full throttle and run the prop into the ground and the crank will be fine but the prop won't....Seen it happen. Doesn't mean you can't hurt the crank but it's VERY unlikely. You will have to open up the gear box and check the clutch but that cheaper than the $4000+ crank. I suggest you get some of the maintenance and repair Videos and books out their to get educated on the engine if you are looking at using one. They are a very well enginneered product but operate VERY differently than "conventional" aircraft motors. This is what cause almost all the "problems" you hear about. Been working on and flying behind them for over a decade. Like anything else, if you don't understand it, it will cost you.

Thanks!

That was a very informative reply, of which I completely understand the logic now. Much appreciated! :)

The original RV-12 prototype had a Cessna style oleo nose gear leg. The latest version shown in pictures has spring steel gear similar to the other tri-gear RVs.

http://vansaircraft.com/public/rv-12int.htm

Look at bottom for current drawing.

I see that, Larry, thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was odd that it would have a different nose gear than othe a models. Now I seem to remember hearing that Vans had decided to go with a full castering nosewheel instead of a steerable..

Josh

Thanks for the info!!

Thanks all for replying..

I think I will search for a Tail dragger LSA.
I love the -9 but really want LSA.

I hope a -12 is in the works someday.

T

Last edited:
Back