What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

painting legal in future?

Depp vom Dienst

I'm New Here
With regard to painting, somebody (who is an amateur classic car restorer) told me recently that ther is new federal legislation that may effect those people who want to paint their own planes. He said that in a couple of years you will not be able to purchase paint without a license. To get said license, you need to have one of those very expensive paint booths that reclaim paint vapors. Even many body shops don't have this. Has anybody heard anything about this?

I am new to your forum and apologize for lack of prior lurk.

It wouldn't surprise me if this happened soon, at least in California. But on the other hand, We've been hearing this rumor for over 15 years in Texas about polyurethane paints.

With regard to painting, somebody (who is an amateur classic car restorer) told me recently that ther is new federal legislation that may effect those people who want to paint their own planes. He said that in a couple of years you will not be able to purchase paint without a license. To get said license, you need to have one of those very expensive paint booths that reclaim paint vapors. Even many body shops don't have this. Has anybody heard anything about this?
Two-bit summary: If you paint less than two airplanes or cars per year, this rule will not apply to you.

Discussion: I suspect that your friend is talking about the MACT Area Source Paint Stripping and Surface Coating Rule, aka 40 CFR 63 Subpart HHHHHH (yep, 6-H). This is part of EPA's move to reduce emissions of hazardous air pollutants (e.g., toluene, chromium) over the years, as well as the drive to reduce the amount of VOC (solvent) in paints over the last 15 years.

MACT HHHHHH has some exemptions. First, it does not apply to individuals who paint no more than two vehicles or other pieces of equipment per year (the rule wasn't designed with aircraft in mind). Second, it does not apply if the coating does not contain one of several target HAPs (e.g., chromium).

So, if you're an amateur builder, no worries. If you run an aircraft painting shop, be worried. If this describes you, PM me and I can help you out with understanding and complying with the rule. Yes, this is what I do for a living (boring, isn't it?).

Soapbox: Industry (light and heavy industry) spends lots of money reducing its emissions - this is just EPA pushing this process down to individuals and small businesses. It was easiest to go after air emissions of factories / refineries / power plants at first, but once those emissions have been reduced, often its us (i.e., individuals) who are the largest source of emissions. A good parallel is that of mobile emissions - in many areas, the majority of air pollution is emitted by cars, not industry, etc. And don't forget that the #1 source of dioxins (TCDD) in the US is residential trash burning!

Disclaimer: This is based on my quick initial read of this rule; there may be other rules that I'm not aware of at this early hour of the day. Do not consider this legal advice, so contact an attorney for legal advice, preferably someone who does not play a lawyer on TV.

TODR

Last edited:
Ill just set up shop in Mexico... appearntly the environment south of the border is much less fragile than in the US. :p surely the winds dont cross the border:confused:

Give the EPA and other G-men a bit more time... You do-it-yourselfers will fall under the same restrictions as large shops.

I could really go on a rant right now.... But i got stuff to paint!!

Back