What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake tube / line fuselage exit location

az_gila

Well Known Member
-6A guys...

Has anyone got a good location for the brake tube exit point on a -6A using the later models central floor cover?

I'm going to route the brake lines down the center of the floor and then go outwards in front of the spar.

The original plans use a location on the side, but isn't clearly dimensioned... the later models use an exit location that is in a steel web of the gear weldment on the cockpit floor - this won't really work due to the -6A spar arrangement, I don't think you want any tubing fitting attached to the gear weldment.

Any ideas (or pictures) welcome... (-6As only)

gil A

Brake Lines

Gil,
Decide first which side of the maingear you are going to run your brake lines (Fwd or Aft). Use that as a guide and go thru the side of the fuselage where they meet up the best in the wing root. I went the floor route and it is a bad angle for the lower brake lines on the gear. Good luck.

Thanks...

Gil,
Decide first which side of the maingear you are going to run your brake lines (Fwd or Aft). Use that as a guide and go thru the side of the fuselage where they meet up the best in the wing root. I went the floor route and it is a bad angle for the lower brake lines on the gear. Good luck.

Thanks Kurt... I was a bit concerned about the floor location, but wanted to see if anyone else used it on a -6A....

I'll go out the sides... I guess you routed the brake line through the gear weldment...

gil A

Brake lines

Gil,
Mine is still on the floor, just had to adapt to it. Another local -6A went down the sides, above the gear weldement, then out the side. The brake line is a little higher this way but works great and the bends are all good to work with.

Brake lines

I did mine the RV7A way on my 6A - just foreward of the gear leg, and taped to the front. I tried to get the exact dimensions of the predrilled holes on the 7A to no avail - so I guesstimated.

Weldments?

I did mine the RV7A way on my 6A - just foreward of the gear leg, and taped to the front. I tried to get the exact dimensions of the predrilled holes on the 7A to no avail - so I guesstimated.

The -7A goes through a hole in the bottom of the landing gear weldment...

Did you drill the steel or did you place it in the floor just ahead of the weldment?

thanks gil A

GIL, I sent you an E-mail.................

As you will read in my e-mail, I kept all of the lines away from the gear weldment. By doing that, you can run all of the lines now, and when it comes tiime to install the gear, just make some fake spar spacers and temp. mount the gear. The point is you can install and remove the weldment without the lines in the way and best of all you don't have to install the lines after the wings are on.

Last edited:
Brake lines

I drilled through the steel - just like the 7A. The trick then was that the fastening nut fits between the steel and the aluminum skin and the b-nut holding the line attaches above the weldment - I used a 45 degree fitting.

Confirmation...

I drilled through the steel - just like the 7A. The trick then was that the fastening nut fits between the steel and the aluminum skin and the b-nut holding the line attaches above the weldment - I used a 45 degree fitting.

Hi Ralph... thanks for the note.

Just to make sure I understand... you used this AN837 fitting -

3248.JPG

Inserted from the top down, with a hole (7/16) in the steel fitting, and a much larger clearance hole in the floor skin.

Is that correct?

gil A

Brake fitting

Correct fitting in the -4 size.
Inserted from the bottom - with just the right size hole in both the floorskin and the steel gear mount. In my case I put the nut (and washer IIRC) between the floorskin and the steel gearmount. The rest of the fitting stuck up through the gearmount and the B-nut goes on nicely on the topside of the gearmount.

Do you need a photo? I can take a couple.

Bringing back an old thread. I also have the RV-7 center tunnel cover and was wondering if anyone has picture of how they routed the brake lines on their 6A?

Last edited:
Bump, anyone?

I don't have pictures handy, but I can get some next time I'm at the hangar.

I used 90 degree bulkhead fittings in the sides of the fuel selector columns to turn the brake lines from running in front of the spar to run forward through the floor tunnel. The fittings are close to the floor to maintain room for all the other stuff that lives there. This also provides a relatively straight path for getting the lines underneath the FI pump assembly.

I don't have pictures handy, but I can get some next time I'm at the hangar.

I used 90 degree bulkhead fittings in the sides of the fuel selector columns to turn the brake lines from running in front of the spar to run forward through the floor tunnel. The fittings are close to the floor to maintain room for all the other stuff that lives there. This also provides a relatively straight path for getting the lines underneath the FI pump assembly.

Brad,

thanks for the reply, but I'm looking more for how/where you exited the fuselage to connect down to the wheel. I should have been more clear.

Thanks,

On my -6A, I routed the brake line exits just forward and outboard of the gear weldments, just in front of the gear legs. The brake lines were then routed outboard of the gear legs, and then down the back side of legs.

The upper gear leg intersection fairings were somewhat of a pain as I needed to form a "blister" into the fiberglass that would surround the floor exit brake fitting and then fair the area in with the rest of the intersection fairing.

On my -6A, I routed the brake line exits just forward and outboard of the gear weldments, just in front of the gear legs. The brake lines were then routed outboard of the gear legs, and then down the back side of legs.

The upper gear leg intersection fairings were somewhat of a pain as I needed to form a "blister" into the fiberglass that would surround the floor exit brake fitting and then fair the area in with the rest of the intersection fairing.

Any thoughts on routing the lines out the side just above where the weldment attaches to the lower longeron and then using a 90 degree fitting in the gap between the fuse and wing to route the line into the fairing?

Any thoughts on routing the lines out the side just above where the weldment attaches to the lower longeron and then using a 90 degree fitting in the gap between the fuse and wing to route the line into the fairing?

For my thoughts, I already had pitot, AOA, and fuel lines plus the wire for the fuel level sensor in this area. I tried to place the Andair gascolator between the tank and fus skin, but just never ended up with a solution I liked. This would take up space in this area as well.

If a brake line were to exit the fus side, it seems that the gap fairing would need to be notched somehow to get the brake line to the gear leg.

Back