What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AvMap Are You Listening?

Bill Palmer

Well Known Member
An Opinion:

AvMap,

I was about to purchase a new AvMap Geopilot II Plus the other day . . . it seemed like a "Garmin-Beater" was finally on the scene! All the features, physical layout (fits in a standard avionics rack), 5-inch screen, reasonable price, etc. seemed perfect. And then I saw the display - - it looked like something from a decade-old video game! 320x240 pixel resolution - - You've got to be kidding! "Pong" had better resolution!

How about introducing a new Geopilot III Plus at Oshkosh 2008 with one change from the II Plus: A screen resolution of at least 640x420 pixels. Then, you'll have a "Garmin World Beater" and you'll be "King of the Aviation Portable Hill." Until then, you're a distant "Also Ran" to Garmin.

Happy New Year!

Bill Palmer :rolleyes:

AvMap EKP IV !!

What is a Geopilot II ?

The EKP IV is what you want! Check it out, after using it ones, you will not want anything else, ever!

EKP IV Size

Hi Tonny,

Yes, I agree that the AvMap EKP IV is a fine unit IF you have room in your RV's panel to install it. With the EKP IV's relatively large size (4.8 inches wide x 7.1 inches long), you need to design your panel around it. The EKP IV cannot fit in a standard avionics rack except lengthwise, and, therefore, it is not very compatible with the installation of other avionics such as radios, transponder, IFR GPS, etc. These other avionics, and your instruments, must be moved, changed, and fitted in a custom configuration in order to accommodate the EKP IV. If I could somehow shrink the EKP IV by about 15% and mount it horizontally in an avionics rack, Yes, I'd buy it. Alternatively, I really like the form factor, controls, features, and screen size of the new AvMap Geopilot II Plus, but its display resolution is unfortunately disappointing.

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer :rolleyes:

AV Map or Lowrance

Bill,

Seems to me you're on a soapbox to blast a couple avionics handheld GPS manufacturers and I guess the rest of us are supposed to play ostrich! :eek:

Which is really going to be the King of the Handhelds, Lowrance or AV Map?

I doubt seriously that they have reps monitoring messages on our RV site but who knows. Actually, I have been using a 2000C since it came out thru a Lowrance trade-in program for my old original Airmap and have been quite happy with the 2000c and all it has to offer, especially the display orientation instead of the sideways display of the Garmin units. Oops, if they are paying attention to us here they may disregard your requests when they find out there are many happy 2000C owners. :)

GPS Handheld Improvement

Hi Mike,

I'm just encouraging improvement from all three major manufacturers of GPS aviation handhelds: Garmin, AvMap, and Lowrance. Also, I think some discussion is good about the relative pros and cons of these handheld, but often panel-mounted, GPS receivers. These "handheld" receivers are the primary means of navigation for many RVs. If enough RVers think some improvements are warranted, I know they'll tell the manufacturers; as I have.

If you're happy with your Lowrance 2000C, that's fine! Maybe I was a little rough on the 2000C, and maybe my various criticisms about the current GPS units, although "tongue in cheek," were insensitive to those who already own these units. If so, I apologize!

It's just that I can't figure out an easy way to integrate a 2000C into my panel due to the 2000C's tablet-style form factor; particularly once it's installed in an Airgizmo dock (7.2 inches tall). The AvMap EKP IV is also a little too big for my panel. They're both good units; I just wish they were a little easier to install.

I've got an Airmap 500 as a backup GPS, and I like it. I personally prefer Lowrance's software interface over Garmin's; I've had both. On the other hand, I know that my Airmap 500 can use a few improvements (like color = 600C and more brightness). Identifying and encouraging GPS handheld improvements is a good thing for the RV community, right?

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer :)

GPS's and panel mounting

I guess I look at my GPS (an AvMap EKP IV) a bit differently than my AP, comm, and Xponder. I expect to use them as long as they work. I expect to replace the IV at some point in time, either with an IFR unit (at which point the IV will become backup) or with something "later and greater." That to this point has been the history of GPS. I hope AvMap releases the WX software/hardware soon. If they don't, I may go to something else. The point is, I wouldn't cut my panel to install any GPS at this point. Get an AirGizmo mount or make your own, like I did. Mine is also to the right of the radio stack, not the best location but very usable. If you have an existing panel that is really full, size matters. If not, I would think the size difference wouldn't be that big of an issue. Keeping free real estate in you panel is another reason to consider glass instrumentation IMHO.

Bob Kelly

Handheld actually held in hand

Loved my 430 in the C182, hated it's tiny screen. Having that huge sunscreen, i.e. wing, really helped. Now with a canopy and full sun I prefer to place the gps on the seat next to me or on my lap to position it for best viewing. I'd like to see the wires eliminated. Bluetooth and lithium batteries could make for a nice tablet style without the wires. I have been waiting for a Quantum advancement but have have found my 195 navigates quite nicely.

Back