What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance Airmap 600

Airmap 500

Just an opinion:

I've got an Airmap 500, and I like it! It's got convenient controls, a fairly large screen, good aviation software (I like the split long range approach and close-in airport views), and is easy and inexpensive to update. My next small GPS handheld purchase will be a 600C. Personally, I think the 600C is superior to Garmin's 96C which has controls on top and a small screen on the bottom (seems reversed to me!).

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer :rolleyes:

I have the 600c and really like it.

Its small but comes with all the power of the Garmin units and more. It fits to the left of my panel without getting in the way of things.

I also have an Airmap 500 that I like. It is easy to use and gets me where I'm going. It also runs my Trutrak autopilot. I'm waiting for Lowrance to get on the stick and offer a unit with weather. I had hoped that a unit such as this would have been out by the last Oshkosh flyin but no luck.

My only problem with Lowrance is their telephone support. When you try to call them, be prepared for a multi-hour wait and then to get limited help. When this is mentioned to them, they don't seem to care. On tech told me that they were the largest GPS supplier in the country and didn't see the need to change.

Good luck,
Tom RV-7A N175TJ flying

I had a friend pick up the 600C for me at OSH last year. My only complaint so far is that the display is very dark, not anything like the picture on the box and in the advertisements. :mad: Here on the Texas gulf coast everything is displayed as dark green. I guess they think it is almost tropical here. On the display it is very difficult to see the details. When I head inland, things get lighter and brighter. Much better.

I contacted Lowrance and asked them how to make it brighter. They said "That's the way it is." I've adjusted brightness and contrast as much as possible but still struggle with it.

YMMV

Karl

Back