What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS Inboard Hinge Assemby ????????

1911pilot

Well Known Member
OK I tried to assemble the HS-911 inboard brackets and VA-146 bearing tonight. (The one right dead center on the rear HS Spar.) One problem, the brackets align perfectly with each other, the VA-146 bearing has 2 holes that will not line up with the brackets. Has anyone else had this problem?
hs911oops8qp.jpg

Oops forgot. I already know that the bearing is on the wrong side of the bracket. Its the same both ways on each bracket. & Sorry about the massive pic size, I couldn't get it any smaller on this computer.

Jeff

Try flipping the bearing over and clocking it in all 6 possible orientations. If you're absolutely sure all 6 holes won't line up, drill new holes or contact Vans for replacement parts.
Steve

I don't recall there being a specific pattern. In other words, it should line up with any hole lined up with any another. On the two holes that are missing (based on your photo), I bet Van's tells you to match drill them and keep on building?

Vans said the 146 bearing was misdrilled, anothers in the mail. The other 2 holes were there you just couldn't see them in the pic. They were within a couple 32nds of them though. The holes in the bearing were not evenly spaced.
So far everything has lined up great with almost no problems, this one kind of threw me for a loop.

Jeff

1911 Pilot

You are right, everything else should continue to line up nicely for you.

Just be prepared, and get ready to cuss a little bit, when you begin bucking the most forward rivets on the HS nose ribs! :mad: At a recent fly-in, there were two un-painted RV-9A's. I felt MUCH better when one of them had a spot of filler on the exact same spot I am referring to about being tough to buck! Also, I am sure Steve (Alpine Lakes Pilot) will also vouch for this (since he told me)...but....GO AHEAD AND RIVET THE INNER MOST HS RIBS TO THE SPARS AS ONE OF YOUR FIRST STEPS! These are the two inner-most ribs that are angled. It is very tough if you wait to rivet them at the point where Van's says to insert/rivet them. Do it first and you will save yourself MUCH grief!

Hope this helps....

I agree

I totally agree with getting the inner most HS ribs riveted to the spar early (before riveting to the skin) while you can bend them out of the way a bit. It is very rough otherwise.

Back