What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whiskey compass mounting

Rick S.

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to mount my compass on the glare sheild, I assume nutplates are out because of the steel. The compass came with mounting screws and nuts which I'll use but I need to make the aft nut captive somehow, I am thinking flox and epoxy suggestions welcome on that. Any issues with mounting it off the centerline? The cabin strut on the -10 won't allow my compass to be directly in the middle of the glareshield. Any other tips appreciated. I know about swinging, degaussing, deviations and the compass card. I never newly mounted one, just replaced them.

Brass custom nutplate...

You could solder three brass nuts to a single piece of brass sheet.. check your local RC hobby store...

gil A

I'm not sure nut plate would be out of the question. Mine is mounted to the roll bar strut which is steal. I calibrated it after of course which compensates for local magnetic disturbance. Seems to work jsut fine.
JOhn Adams

I'm not sure nut plate would be out of the question. Mine is mounted to the roll bar strut which is steal. I calibrated it after of course which compensates for local magnetic disturbance. Seems to work jsut fine.
JOhn Adams

John,
My roll bar strut is stainless steel. RV-7A #72183.
I believe Vans made it out of stainless for the sake of the compass.
Check yours with a magnet.

Mark

Back