What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kneeboard

Transporter

Well Known Member
Friend
Doug wrote this weekend about his 'new' kneeboard, courtesy of Danny King.

If you want one of your own, the current mil-spec version of this kneeboard is available from Sporty's. They sell two models (one with light #6543-1A, one without #8601A). I recommend the one with the light like Doug's.

The only real design difference over the years is that they eliminated the pencil holder tube from the left side. They kept the pencil holder tube and sharpener on the right side.

The lighted model has a rheostat for the battery-operated chart light (uses three AA's), two chart clips on top (one under the light at the forward edge and one at the aft edge) and a coil spring at the forward edge to hold your pencil in the ready position.

The curved bottom has a couple of foam strips to help it grip your leg and the adjustable elastic leg strap has a strong nylon buckle.

I've flown with mine for several years and I agree with Doug-it's the perfect size, particularly when you're flying with a passenger. It's short enough (10" long) that it doesn't interfere with flight controls, but is still long enough to hold your approach plates or a folded chart.

Regards,

Back