What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jet Glo?

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I'm starting to think of paint.

Anyone had Jet Glo on their plane for a couple years? How is it standing up? Would you use it again?

Anyone had Jet Glo on their plane for a couple years? How is it standing up? Would you use it again?
Mine had Jet Glo professionally applied about 9 years ago. It had gotten some chips on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer, probably from gravel strip operation. I also chipped the leading edges of the gear fairings from cowling removal. I think it has been fine. I doubt if there is much difference in any of the polyurethane paints.

Grady at Northwest Regional at Fort Worth repaired all the chips last summer.

Last edited:
Grady at Glo Custom painted the Val with Jet Glo and I've been extremely happy with it so far - very tough and the colors hold up well.

Paul

Go with AcryGlo and save a few $$$

My paint shop used AcryGlo, which is JetGlo for slower airplanes, i.e., JetGlo for turbines and AcryGlo for pistons. That was 2+ years ago and people still ask me what kind of polish I use on the airplane. I tell them -- none! In fact, the paint shop recommended to not polish the airplane but just use a mild detergent and wash it. That's what I've been doing. The aircraft still has a deep shine and the paint appears to be very hard and resistant to dings.

Plus, Acryglo costs less than JetGlo.

Bottom line -- I'm very happy with it. My paint shop was Aircraft Paint Services (APS) at Meacham Field, Fort Worth, Texas. Call Art or Homer, they've been painting aircraft for 30 years.

Chris

Good stuff

It is absolutely wounderful and expensive, but what paint is not. Its a polyurethane one step paint, not automotive base/coat clear coat system. Its a division of Sherwin Williams and my old RV4 was pointed with it and won a workmanship award at an EAA fly in; the paint sold it. I sold it but the paint was as nice as the day it was shot 6 years later. The paint is about 11 years old and bet it still looks good. The paint is fuel resistant and shines very nicely. Durability is not in question, that is what its made for. You can get stock colors or you can get custom colors. Aviall is a distributor. JetGlo goes on and does shine and glow. You do have to prep, etch, alodine, prime like any paint system.

The only down side and I'm stretching, is if you want to have lots of stripes and trim, you'll have to put them on top of your basic color coat. That does leave a ridge. However the trick is to remove the tape right after shooting to let the edge blend better. The only advantage I see with a base/clear coat system is you can mellow the ridges a little with LOTS of clear, but I would bet the JetGlo is lighter than a base/clear coat system.

Last edited:
Jet-Glo for over 14 years.

My -6 was painted with Jet-Glo in September of 1993. Still looks new. Very few chips. (I fly regularly from gravel strips.)
One secrete of a lasting urethane paint job is to put on a minimum amount of paint. The thicker the paint, the more likely it is to chip.
As George says, Jet-Glo is now owned by Sherwin Williams. But they didn't develop it. It was originally developed by Pratt & Lambert. Sherwin Williams bought it a few years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. My painter guy started using this a couple years ago and loves it and it looks awesome on some planes he has done.

I may look into the Acryglo. Can they tint this stuff in any color or do they just do stock colors? I have something pretty wild in mind.

Thanks for the replies. My painter guy started using this a couple years ago and loves it and it looks awesome on some planes he has done.

I may look into the Acryglo. Can they tint this stuff in any color or do they just do stock colors? I have something pretty wild in mind.

I used Sherwin Williams "Genesis" which is supposeably along the lines of the Jet Glo formula, but for high end fleet vehicles that need to stand up to abuse.

The paint store had color matches for a very wide variety of colors. I wanted a yellow that matched a Nissan XTerra SUV & got it mixed as requested.

L.Adamson

Jet-Glo, IMHO, is the best aviation paint you can buy. I've painted just about everything.

Acry-Glo is cheaper than Jet-Glo but you also get less paint. If you buy a gallon of Acry-Glo you get a can that is 3/4 full. Add a quart of hardener and you now have a gallon ready to reduce then spray. If you buy a gallon of Jet-Glo you get a full gallon of the base component. You add to that a gallon of hardener giving you 2 gallons of paint ready to reduce then spray. In general Jet-Glo is used for your base color/s and Acry-Glo is for trim colors and/or metallic colors.

Used both

Painted N942WG with Jet-glo white and then used Acry-glo for the stripes. One advantage of using Acry-glo is that it is buffable. Wild stipes, like those on a Bengal Tiger can be done with Acry-glo and then buff flush. If you use Jet-glo, then the stripes must go on top of this first coat, which does leave a ridge.

Pat Garboden (paint hose manager)
Ozark, MO
RV-9A N942WG flying
RV-9A N942PT wiring and paint prep stage

Todd Wiechman (painter)
Wichita, KS

Back