What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builders in Singapore

fredmoss

I was all ready to build an RV-7 in Melbourne, Australia -- but my career forced me to re-locate to Singapore.

Are there any builders in Singapore?

Also... does anyone have any advice on what would be considered the MINIMUM space that one can work to do 90% of the work -- everything except final assembly. I would have to build the thing in my apartment, not my nice three-car garage in Melbourne

Fred,
I'm going to have the same problem (building in an apartment) with an 8 soon, and I've been running the tape measure a bit. The empenage and wings can be done in your average 12x16 ft (3.5x5 meter) apartment living room. The fuselage borders on 20 ft long (6+ meter), so it would depend greatly on how open your floor plan layout is.

The biggest problem you're going to have is getting the completed parts out of the apartment. Your front door won't be wide enough to pass the 7 fuselage, and most apartment managers won't take kindly to your removing parts of the exterior wall to get this thing out (sliding glass doors to the outside would make life easier). Make sure you have manuvering room outside the front door to get the wings outside (if you don't have sliding glass doors). Also, you'll want to consider some sound supression for the air compressor and air tools...or hope for cooperative neighbors.

Best of luck on your project. I don't have the sliding doors, and my front door is 36" wide...exactly the same width as the 8's firewall (I can hear the scraping now! :eek: ) I figure I can do the empenage and wings, and then find a another place to live... ;)

Last edited:
Another Problem

Bummer....

I just found out that Singapore doesn't have an Experimental category. Which means that I can't get it registered until I

a) build it
b) ship the built kit to Australia (the nearest country with an Experimental category)
c) get it inspected
d) take 2 months off to fly the test period in Australia
e) fly it back to Singapore -- a five day flight

It looks like, if I want a Van's, I will have to buy one already built.

Back