What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil temp gauge malfunction

freegespeed

Well here I go again fixing one problem only to create another. I'm just about finished with this years condition inspection which included an EGT gauge replacement and now my oil temperature gauge is pegging at 300 degrees all of a sudden at start up when the engine is dead cold. I'm suspecting that in the tight confines behind my panel I may have moved a wire or something. My question is could this possibly be a case of reverse polarity due to my just hooking up some terminals backwords?

Any help would be appreciated and happy holidays to all.

no fix needed

I thought I would finish this thread properly by informing all that my oil temperature gauge wasn't broken after all. After having those high readings, the gauge stop doing that and began to read zero for some reason.That wasn't a correct reading either so I still had to figure it out.

The problem with the guage turns out to be that I wasn't warming up the engine enough with the cowl off to have the needle move off the low end. I put the cowl on and did some taxiing and sure enough it started to climb. I then test flew it and it climbed up to normal readings at cruise climb. I was almost going to buy a new gauge but some instinct told me to put the cowl on and try it again. Well all is well that ends well I guess.

Last edited:
Back