What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does anybody recognize these?

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am completing an RV8A project that I bought from someone. I have identified almost all the parts, and determined where they go. There are still a couple of "mystery parts". Don't you hate it when you build an airplane and there are parts left over.

Does anybody know what these parts are and where they go?

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5969/dscn04647uc.jpg

dscn04647uc.jpg

Thanks,

Tony Johnson
RV8A "badboy" N12TJ res.
Orlando

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tony,

I went ahead and inserted that image in the first message for you (I work in I.T. <g>).

Best always,
Doug

I love puzzles!

But this one is a stumper...

It doesn't look like anything I remember putting on my -8...must be a part specially for the -8A, or just something that crept into the previous owners part box.....

Paul Dye

?????????

I have NO idea what the pieces are. Based on the coloration and what appears to be old paint, they just don't look like airplane parts?

However, if I was just guessing, they look like some smooth / special type of jaws for a bench vise. :confused:

We need more clues please. It is obviously about 3 inches long but how thick? How far along and how much is the project assembled? Are those bolt holes or rivet holes? What is it made of and what does that really paint look like it is?

The only thing I remember right now being like that are some .063 firewall gussets (those look thicker) or maybe the rudder pedal hookups to the cables. Maybe they are shims for something? Parts for the person's garage door?

Looks like some extra metal Van's just wanted to get out of their shop. They used to package up all kinds of metal and call it Trim Bundle.

:)

More clues

The pieces are very heavy metal, steel it would seem, 1/4 inch thick. They do not look like any other part of the Vans kit. They are painted a beige, not the color of the powder coat that Vans uses.

Perhaps either Vans or the previous builder has a sense of humor and included them to make me scratch my head.

Thanks for helping me figure them out.

Tony

Can't be part of kit

It can't be part of the kit. I have almost completed my 8A and I have nothing looking like these part in the kit.

If you find out that they are needed. Please let me know.

Ulf

Back