What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Hinges

On the 7 the elevator etc hinge plates were steel, but on the 3 they are fabricated out of aluminium (a special form of UK aluminum!) L section with the steel bolt passing through with the rose joint in between. I know that the rotation should be between the centre of the rose joint and the hinge bolt. But it struck me that if the bolt rotated on the aluminium bracket then bracket could wear or fret. I would not want to change these hinges after some flying as they are riveted on.

I was thinking of making bronze bushes in the aluminium brackets for the bolts. Am I making something of nothing and should just stick with the plans?

1 day after receiving the kit and the questions start already!

No worries, the brackets clamp down on the round ball in the center of the rod end bearing and do no move. Said differently, the rod end bearing moves on the ball which is clamped... no wear on the brackets.

Thanks Randy.

By the way, have just completed the bag check on the empennage and it tallies exactly with the file you have on your web site. You could update the date to now if you wanted.

Back