What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Gear Leg Fairings, Question....

Scott DellAngelo

Well Known Member
I cannot seem to find the hose clamps to hold them on. Did Van's not include them or I am just not finding them?

Thanks,
Scott
#90598 Finish Kit
N598SD reserved

I don't remember getting clamps with my kit. Had to go to the aviation supplies department at Home Depot.

hose clamps

Nope they are not included, get the skinny ones as they will work better , because of the angle..

Danny...

Yeah I gave one more look and then went to the aviation aisle at Menards and got some. Wierd how Van's can be so detailed about some things and then not include something totally simple like a hose clamp thus causing me to have to drive to the store. Anyways got that job done.

Thanks,
Scott
#90598 Finish Kit
N598SD reserved

wheel fairings

I just tried to get my wheel pants on correctly.. if you find a better solution for figuring out how to get them at the proper angles.. don't keep quiet about it..

Danny..

Wheel pants...

I dropped a plumb line from the front center of the firewall and from the tail tie-down eyebolt, then put three parallel lines on the floor of the garage. The first line was a string tensioned under the two plumb bobs, the other two were drawn parallel to the string at the center of the tire treads of the main landing gear.

Look at the prints and you will see where the wheel pants (fairings) go in relation to the gear leg when it bends toward the wheel. You will also see a measurement for the height at the aft end of the wheel fairing. You can see my photos of doing this on this page of my web site:

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a114.htm#April18

There are a couple more pictures on page 115. Use the link at the bottom of page 114 to get to them.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
(in the paint shop)

wheel pants

Jerry I thought we were suppose to do this with the gear in the air.. as the wheels curve in without weight on the tires.. ? I tried to do it the best I could but I think I missed the mark.. I should be getting the transition parts at the end of the month.. I will get back to the wheel pants and gear legs when I get the motor built, should be picking up the 0320 crankshaft and rods from eci this week and bearings and gasketsets.. so we can build this motor up, I still need a complete oilpump housing as mine had the two part
oil pump type.. still looking for a 0320 carb .. anyone know the model number of marvel type.. 0320 thanks Jerry.. just wondered about your opinion on the gear legs being off the ground..

Wheel pants

You will want the gear off the ground, since as you pointed out, they flex when sitting down. I built a fuselage stand similar to what the older kits required but you could rig up something fairly easy to get the fuse suspended in the air. Some sturdy sawhorses might work. It's a real challenge but go slow and think it through. The first one takes forever and the 2nd goes quickly. I'm pretty sure I got the 2nd one dang near perfect but not so sure about the first one. :)

rechecked my pants

Yeah I rechecked mine and they are off , I used nutplates on the outside were the rivets go, so I will glass over the holes, retry it later.. , had to get ready for a huricane coming very close to here so everything is going on hold..wish us luck 135 mph winds should be raining very soon.. Corpus Christi,
but it looks like it will drop down into mexico..

Danny..

Back