What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steinair

petehowell

Well Known Member
Living in Minneapolis in the winter is not all bad. Yes, flying is a bit chilly - but we have dual heat muffs and electric seats. We also have the opportunity to fly just 15 min south and visit Stein at Steinair.

I needed a 15 pin male d-sub and some crimp pins to hookup a new airplane gizmo. Radio Shack only stocks the high density version, so I thought I'd see if Stein was in the shop.

A quick buzz around the east side of the Minne Bravo and right thru the STP Delta and you land at Airlake. A quick call to Stein and he provides limo service in his pick up.

Open the shop and it is like candy land for RV-ers! Stein showed me the latest G-900 panels (all going to surgeons...) Stein' demo model was loaded and hooked up and you could run the sim to shoot an apporach. The only downside is the cost(about what my entire plane cost :eek:) We saw Paul Story's dual 3500 panel (very nice) and some of the new GRT screens.

Off to the back of the shop and a visit with John Conard working on his RV-7. He was fussing over the paint, but it looks great - they painted it out back for the $$ equiv of a couple tanks of gas. He finishing up his James cowl and will be flying in no time. Stein and Jed have a RV-7 that is getting a polish treatment - nice stuff.

Stein also showed me parts of his next major project - let's just say it is very rare, very fast, and has a round motor.

An hour-plus later, I get the connector and pins, and pay the $5 damage. Stein runs me back to the airport where he is meeting some guys coming in from NE in a -10.

I know many of you know it already, but Stein and the team are just plain good guys. They will send stuff to you in the mail, but showing up in person is worth the trip!

P.S. The finger is still painful to look at, but has healed pretty well.

Last edited:
Pete,

I echo your comments on the Steinmeister. We were the RV10 he met after dropping you off. Stein and Jenny wired us up with an SL30........watching him do it I have to say that his STUBBY does have advantages under the panel. He is very accomodating UNLESS you want him to say nice things about your KMA 24 Audio panel. I told Stein on the next plane he will do it all so I don't have to hear him complain when he works on it............Jenny quickly replied "that will NEVER happen". One of the few businesses you love to call and get harrassed by.........STEINAIR "We're not Happy till your Broke"

DEAN

Back