What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Batterystuff.com Odyssey charger

vbpiper

Well Known Member
I ordered a BatteryMINDer #12248 from http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/5-10amps/BM12248.html. They did not recommend the Odyssey-brand charger, although they sell it, but they reset the output voltage on the BatteryMINDer to meet the requirements for the Odyssey battery.
Excellent customer service. They called to say that the charger was out of stock, but I received it in just a few days. Excellent charger so far. Automatically switches to float charge. Switchable 2/4/8 amps. Desulphator. Works for flooded, AGM, gel batteries.
Paid $118, including shipping. It comes with both battery clips and ring terminals, and a temperature sensor ring terminal. Also available is a plug for the lighter socket.
No financial interest in the company, just a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
I have that charger, too, from the same place. I installed the ring terminals on my electrical system in the plane, should I need to charge my Odyssey battery. Haven't had to charge that battery, yet, in almost 4 years.

I have used the charger and clip ons on other batteries, though. Works great.

Roberta

Sears Charger

I have the DieHard 2/10/50 charger from Sears. About $60. In a lengthy series of conversations with one of the support people at Concord (mine is the RG that Van's sells) he said it was an excellent charger in general and also in particular for the battery I have. FYIO.

I have the DieHard 2/10/50 charger from Sears. About $60. In a lengthy series of conversations with one of the support people at Concord (mine is the RG that Van's sells) he said it was an excellent charger in general and also in particular for the battery I have. FYIO.

For batteries such as the Odyssey, my Sears Diehard 2/15/100 charger wouldn't put out the required 14+ volts to charge it. Works great for everything else, though. I use an old Dayton charger, that does a good job for the Odyssey.

In my situation, the plane's engine has never yet ran long enough, to take care of battery charging duties.

L.Adamson RV6A

Which battery type on the charger are you using for the Odyssey battery? Gel, Flooded, AGM?

--
Michael

If it's flown regularly, the charging system in the plane is working properly, and there seems to be no apparent problems, why would it need additional charging? I don't charge the battery in my car. I think that the fact that the battery is still providing excellent service suggest no other maintenance is necessary. There have been several times where the plane sat for a month or more and the battery was still fully, or near fully, charged. The recharge it gets from flying should be adequate to ward off any sulfating.

Roberta

How about a Concorde RG-26XC battery?

The title is wrong - it's a RG-25XC. Sorry for any confusion!

The Concorde is a recombinant gas design. Would this same charger be appropriate for that battery?

With the weather here in the Chicago area, I don't get to fly every weekend in the winter. When I do, I need a strong battery to turn over the engine and ensure it starts. The battery has never had anything but the normal charging system applied to it, so it may need desulfating.

I'd like to be able to leave the battery on the float so when I come out to fly it will be ready to go. I do have band type cylinder heaters on the engine and plan on adding an oil pan heater over the holidays.

Last edited:
Check w/ Concorde about that

The title is wrong - it's a RG-25XC. Sorry for any confusion!

The Concorde is a recombinant gas design. Would this same charger be appropriate for that battery?

With the weather here in the Chicago area, I don't get to fly every weekend in the winter. When I do, I need a strong battery to turn over the engine and ensure it starts. The battery has never had anything but the normal charging system applied to it, so it may need desulfating.

I'd like to be able to leave the battery on the float so when I come out to fly it will be ready to go. I do have band type cylinder heaters on the engine and plan on adding an oil pan heater over the holidays.

Skip at Concorde recommended against keeping a charger on it because battery life is related to charging cycles, he said. He highly endorsed the DieHard as I noted above and it's cheaper, too. Skip said this charger can do the desulfating - ask him for details.

Back