What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any one have experiance with AeroCarb TB?

N941WR

Legacy Member
I need to find a curburator for my O-290-D2.

Aircraft Spruce has them but they run just shy of $1,000.

or

I could install an AeroCarb for around $500.

Do any of you have experiance with this carburator? If so, could you answer the following questions for me?

1) Do you have to run a fuel return line back to a tank?
3) Do you need to install carb heat? (The web site said "no".)
4) Did it require a high pressure fuel pump?
5) Is there anything I should be aware of if I select this carb?

Thanks for the help!

I have one sitting in a box awaiting installation on a Jabiru Engine in a Sonex. Now if I can just get the Fuselage finished!

1. In the Sonex Install, there is no return line to the fuel tank. There is only the pressure vent in the fuel tank.

2. There are various Sonex builders that have AeroCarbs installed with and without carb heat. As you indicated, AeroConversions says it's not necessary. It may boil down to comfort level.

3. My installation will be gravity fed, as recommended by Sonex/AeroConversions. No pumps at all in the fuel flow path.

4. Some Sonex installers have had a time getting the Throttle cable movement smooth. Sonex/AeroConversion has worked with them to get these problems straightened out. Sonex/AeroConversions is a good company to work with and I have no problem recommending the company. Since I haven't flown the AeroCarb yet, I can't personally vouch for the AeroCarb. Give me another year!

--Michael Crowder
Sonex #293

Back