What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flooding in Vernonia, Oregon....

n2prise

Well Known Member
And that is the home of Mike Seager and Van's RV-7 demonstrator airplane used for tail dragger RV transition training. Has anyone heard if the Vernonia Airport was flooded? I saw some news footage on TV today and was curious. I called his home phone and got a busy signal.

That would take a lot of water

Vernonia's airport is by a creek, but it is elevated quite a bit from it. To answer your question I am not sure, but I don't think so.

The Chehalis, WA airport is a different story...

2004052213.jpg

2004052215.jpg

Hats off..

To the owners, ramp guys, and whoever got all those planes crammed into that little space. Wonder how many are still trapped in their t-hangars. BTW the RV-3 is in the middle of the row pointed towards the tail of the Mooney thats in the edge of the water. Yellow fuselage with white wings.

Wooh, boy .... the photo of the airplanes fighting for the dry ground reminds me of the floods of 1996. I was living in the 'Couve at the time and working in Kalama at a chemical plant (yes, that's the one you see driving by on I-5 that looks like a chemical plant).

The Columbia came very close to paying us a unexpected visit. We were sandbagging along the riverfront, and had it risen about 6" more, we would have flooded, with some bad consequences. Lots of Woodland, WA were underwater, including Woodland State airportl

I worked some CAP comm missions in the 96 floods, mostly support for ANG flying patrol along levees in the Portland area. Now that was crazy.

TODR

1606.jpg

Here's a picture of an Express that was based at Chehalis. Dual Cheltons were in there...

I still haven't heard from our factory in Toledo, which is only 18 miles south...hope they're okay...

To the owners, ramp guys, and whoever got all those planes crammed into that little space. Wonder how many are still trapped in their t-hangars. BTW the RV-3 is in the middle of the row pointed towards the tail of the Mooney thats in the edge of the water. Yellow fuselage with white wings.

I thought that was it, but the tinted canopy threw me off.... And the nose looked a little square. Man, those wings are short!!!! Looks like an ultralight compared to whats sitting around it.

Last edited:
Back