What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

T915 Anti-Rotation Bracket material

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I can't find the AA6-125x1x1 angle used to fabricated the tank anti-rotation brackets. The only angle I found was a 2" (exactly) piece in one of the aileron subkits. However, not only would that piece be too small for two anti-rotation brackets once I cut it (they're supposed to be 1" apiece finished), but I also need that piece to fabricate the aileron stops.

Does anyone remember offhand what piece of angle I'm supposed to use for these? I suspect I'm just overlooking something, but have looked through my parts bags, my packing lists, boxes of parts, etc. to no avail.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
That is the right angle and yes it is to small. I made them from some 1x1 I had laying around 1-1/8" long.
Frank K
N MN
waiting for finishing kit Due 8/8

Thanks Frank.

I went ahead and made the bracket as per Van's plans just to see what it would look like. After cutting the 2" piece in half, I ended up losing about 1/32+. This meant that each bracket was about 31/32 (rather than 1") and edge distance for the two rivet holes was about 3/32 each (rather than the 1/8" as specified on the drawings). Added to this, the rivet callout is for an AN470-4-5. Putting a 3/32 rivet in these holes with these edge distances is one thing, but drilling them up to 1/8 is going to leave me with not much more than 1/16 edge distance!!!!

I wonder if anyone has had success with getting Van's to send out a larger piece of stock and/or whether they've acknowledged this to be (or not to be) an issue???

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Clearance

The angle Van's supplies really isn't long enough as you discovered. I had to remake mine (twice actually) to get better clearance.

I have lots of extra angle if you want, I can drop a piece in the mail if you don't have a source locally. Fortunatly, Airparts, Inc. is on my way home and has every piece of aluminum I could ever need, so I have lots of extra.

Drop me an email if you want a piece and I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.

Yes, it's too narrow and the rivet edge distance is out of spec. Whaddaya gonna do? I've also seen the bracket made with a wide slot instead of a large hole for the fuel tube to pass through.
Steve

N523RV said:
I have lots of extra angle if you want, I can drop a piece in the mail if you don't have a source locally. Fortunatly, Airparts, Inc. is on my way home and has every piece of aluminum I could ever need, so I have lots of extra.

Drop me an email if you want a piece and I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.

This is exactly what makes the RV the thing to build!!! Where else would you find someone to offer this! Thanks Matthew. Check your email.

Steve

Back