What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 seat & cushions

biggles

I imported an RV3 into the UK and I am thinking of buying an Oregon seat cushion for it.

Oregon cushions made a set for Randy but I dont know if Vans have evovled the seat pan shape over time. can anyone advise

Sending it back for revision is not an option so all input appreciated

Never changed

The seat pan shape is a function of the seat area ribs which have never changed over time. The pattern Oregon Aero now has, which they developed on my plane, should work just fine. The only thing you need to make clear to them is whether you have a manual flap handle or not. If you do they will need to cut off some of the cushion on the left.

VERY comfortable seat! Just curious though, why is sending it back for a revision not an option? I've used UPS to send/receive motorcycle parts to the UK with no problem, and it was surprisingly affordable. You might check it out.

no change is good

Randy many thx

yes my plane does have manual flaps so a bit would need to be cut off on the left, and right to be symetric. Do you know roughly how much?

Shipping is time and money, Its easier to get it covered in the UK. I am also thinking of incorporating a gater in the covering to "grip the stick"

Please could you tell me how thick the seat is at the max point?

RV3 Visit!

Hi Biggles,

You may have seen a few posts from me on this forum. I am about to start an RV3. If at all possible I would love to see your RV3 and chat RV3 stuff! Any chance we could meet up? I live in Dorset, nearest airfield is Compton Abbas

Mark

Randy many thx

yes my plane does have manual flaps so a bit would need to be cut off on the left, and right to be symetric. Do you know roughly how much?

Shipping is time and money, Its easier to get it covered in the UK. I am also thinking of incorporating a gater in the covering to "grip the stick"

Please could you tell me how thick the seat is at the max point?
Normally seat cusions are asymmetrical... full width on the right and the cut off a bit on the left. You could make it symmetrical but it that would make it fairly narrow.

I'm out of town now and can't measure the thickness, but Oregon Aero should be able to tell you. Also note that the thickness should ideally be adjusted for each plane given the pilot's torso height with headset relative to the individual canopy. Typically with Oregon Aero they send you the uncovered cushions for a trial fit, then adjust as necessary. My understanding is that there is a fair amount of variation in the height of the canopies alone, and of course all pilots are different heights.

Back