What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Light Wire Connectors?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
The wires for the instrument lights are very thin. Are special crimp connectors used for these? Or just the smallest standard ones.

Also do you gather them together near the back of a group of instruments and then lead one wire back to the power point on the subpanel?

Jim Sharkey

Jim, I grouped the wires together, ran one line to the dimmer.

I find that for really small wires there are a couple of ways to do a splice. Easiest and cheapest is to us a one ended crimp connector.

Another is to use a uninsulated crimp sleeve, and shrink tubing over it. Most ready made insulated butt splices have a bulge at the ends.

For a really small wire ----24, 26, ----a tip from Bob N. ( I think that is who it was) that I have had success with is to use a pair of dsub pins, and shrink wrap over that--------plus the finished splice ends up being almost the same diameter as the original wire. And, you can always strip off the shrink tubing and un plug it if necessary. Unfortunately, it takes a special crimping tool for the dsub pins.

wires

I just solder another wire on to the bunch and cover with heat shrink. Run wire back to switch with resistors or use a pot

Back