What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Antenna

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
http://www.miracleantenna.com/AirWhipEMG.htm

I talk to the manufacture. Sounds very interesting. Because its almost free of installation error performance should be assured. I was SWR is about 2.0. It might be great for backup Com/VOR handheld. The whip is 44" long and can be in a "C" or "V" shape. I was told vertical or horizontal orientation did not affect performance much. I have strong doubts about that. It will work for and 121.5 ELT but not 243 or 406 MHz. I see it being attached along the inner canopy. No way to know performance with out trying it. Anyway its a 1/2 wave end fed dipole NON GROUND PLANE antenna. (The little box must be mounted vertically if possible and away from metal by several inches if possible.)

AirWhipSharp1.jpg

edit: I did some searching about 1/2 wave end fed dipoles. They work but the "matching" is the key since the normal impedance of this type of antenna is 72 Ohms. Also it will look like an open cuircut to the radio There is no way around it, "tuning" or "matching" usually cost power and performance. Some times simple resistors are used for matching. Also and end fed dipole is an open cuircut. To drive that takes more "matching" and possible loss of efficiency. I don't know enough to know what they actually have in the black box. Any HAM radio guys out there. Again the real deal would be try it and see how well it works.

Last edited:
Back