What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Falcon Compass v. Airpath, etc.?

R

Rutus

It is almost time for the annual on my RV-6, and one task I have in mind is to re-swing the panel mount compass to accommodate some changes in panel gear (Garmin 296 and a G-meter now live near the compass). My compass is the basic cheapo Falcon (China) panel mount, and from day 1 it could be compensated to be pretty accurate (within 1 degree) on some headings, but 6-7 degrees off on other headings was the best I could get.

One thing I'm considering is changing to an Airpath, or SIRS, or perhaps a vertical card model from Precision, and dumping the Falcon unit, if that would give me a better chance at reducing the compensation error on various headings. Does anyone have experience with the Falcon unit and how it compares with the others as far as getting it dialed in, etc.??? Any thoughts on the vertical card model(s)? They do seem to provide information is a more intuitive way, but I think I've seen reference somewhere to issues with accuracy and/or longevity. TIA -

Back