What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rattle Can Sandable Primer?

Geico266

Well Known Member
Is there a brand of sandable rattle can primer than is compatable with IMRON top coat? I would like to get primer in black & white.

no

but, do you really want 5-7500$ paint job on top of rattle can primer. if i had to i would use SEM products for this. but i would use something more along the lines of PPGs K-36

Yes... DuPont products... check data sheets....

Is there a brand of sandable rattle can primer than is compatable with IMRON top coat? I would like to get primer in black & white.

Check the Technical Data Sheet (TDS) for the type of Imron you are using, and see which primers are compatible.

For Imron 700, the TDS says compatibility with "all OEM finishes and DuPont primers"

http://www.resene.com/automotive/DuPont_TDS/Imron700_Polyure_Enam_TDS.pdf

Then check with your local Dupont auto paint dealer to see which primers he can get in aerosol cans...

This is one that would work...

http://www.performancecoatings.dupont.com/dpc/en/us/html/prodinfo/chromasystem/H-19473_A-42X0S.pdf

As always... best results occur if you follow the manufacturer's data sheets.

It seems like a few cans of aerosol primer might be a good idea for those critical areas that got "fixed" by Bondo for a spot prime and sand before an overall priming... as one builder just mentioned that this afternoon talking about the fuselage paint he just completed...

Most of the TDS can be found with Google....:)

gil A

Prepare all surfaces

I'm the builder Gil referred to in the previous post. If bondo is required to repair surface irregularities, make sure the surface BELOW the bondo is properly prepared so there is no adhesion problem later on.

Bondo is a brand name for a low cost product. I use RAGE and have had good results.

I used the Sherwin Williams aviation paint system which begins with acid etch, moves onto etching primer, then a surfacer/sealer, followed by their Genesis fleet top coat and am pleased with the result. I have no idea how well it will stand the test of time but it went on easily. I doubt it's as tough as Imron but I banged it installing the vert stab after only 12 hours of curing and the paint did not chip. Talk about a pucker moment..... but I was thankful to the paint gods for good products.

If you must use an aerosol can, know that you can buy refillable aerosol cans, fill them with the correct Dupont primer to suit Imron, and then pressurize the can using your compressor.

Know that you will have to sand the primer again before final priming and paint to promote adhesion.

Barry

but, do you really want 5-7500$ paint job on top of rattle can primer. if i had to i would use SEM products for this. but i would use something more along the lines of PPGs K-36

This is just spot repair for a hanger rash incident. I just want to cover the "blue" areas until I can get it to the paint shop.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Back