What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Soup on Sunday Annual Campout/Fly-in

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
While Paul, Doug, and the Texas wing were camping at Petit Jean SP last weekend, the Mid-Atlantic wing of the VAF took an outing to Campbell Field for Soup on Sunday. Gordon Campbell and his wife host fly-ins once or twice a month, but this one was special. The annual celebration urged overnight camping and offered several special events on Saturday. I wasn't able to get away on Saturday but was pleased when Rob Brooks urged the Mid-Atlantic RVers to join him on a flight over to the festivities on Sunday.

Sunday morning brought a beautiful dawn and the opportunity to prepare for next weekend's long cross-country. I launched from Shannon airport about 11:30 am and immediately picked up Rob on the radio. Within a few minutes, he and spouse Melinda Yium in their RV-8 along with Rick McBride with his wife Julie in their RV-8 found me in the air, we formed a loose formation, and headed down to Campbell Field.

DSCF3048.JPG

Julie and Rick McBride in Twitterpated (RV-8) and my plane, Mikey, in distance. Photo by Melinda Yium from Rob's RV-8.

Coming into the field, Rob announced a "flight of three". We entered a cross-wind in sequence and landed after a standard pattern. As we staged ourselves at the far end of the field, planes just kept coming in. Everyone must have known it was dinnertime! After six planes had landed, we all finally taxied to the "ramp" and Gordon opened the cross-runway for parking as the usual parking area was filled by a couple dozen planes.

DSCF3068.JPG

Looking at the festivities from Rob's plane. Photo by Melinda Yium.

As usual, the spread was wonderful with hot dogs, chili, a full spread of condiments, veggies and dip, sodas, salads, and cake. The conversation flowed as planes came and left the entire time we were there. Just a really nice, relaxed afternoon. I don't know why the Campbell's are willing to work so hard so often for the pilot community, but they certainly provide a wonderful venue and event.

The Campbell's have added to their website [http://www.campbellfieldairport.com/] and it's worth checking out. This is definitely a field to visit if you are ever in the area....especially on Sundays.

Last edited:
So....with Mikey out in the lead, I assume that your callsign was "Bat Flight"...or was it "Bear Flight"?;)

Very pretty picture with Twitterpated on your wing!

Campbell Field

Louise,
Great write up as usual.
Nice pics too!
I hope to get over there from Louisa one day!
Some of the other guys on the field have been and talk about it often.

We did have 4 planes (eight guys)fly over to SkyBrice ski resort last weekend and enjoyed the "burger".
Regards,

Back