What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Cylinders - First Flight..

Tram

Well Known Member
Ok guys-

Some of you I am sure have seen my pops, bucaronco, thread on our latest adventures..

Looks like if the weather cooperates tomorrow, we will be flying the plane for the first time with the new cylinders.

I have been reading the ECI Break-In procedures in an attempt to be able to regurgitate them at will during the flight..

The first flight will take place at an airport that is somewhat surrounded by hostile terrain for "test" flights so we will be using the north runway in an attempt to give me "somewhere to put it" in case the worst happens.

From what we have read here and in other research, we have formulated the following plan:

- Tow the airplane to the end of the north runway (to prevent an overly long taxi).
- Start the plane, run through a good run up and get the plane in the air ASAP.. The "get it into the air" process seems to be: Minimal power for takeoff until 40KIAS, then gradual power to achieve best climb speed, once this is attained, maintain this and climb to ~3000AGL.. Once at altitude 30 minutes at 75% power need to elapse. Once this is elapsed, power needs to be alternated for another 20 or so minutes - 10 minutes at 65% another 10 at 75% and vice versa. During all of this temps, pressures, etc need to be noted.. Once this is complete, it's time to come back in for the "engine check over." Oil consumption noted, etc..

Now, after this is complete..

We need to keep taxi time, climbs at low airspeeds to a MINIMUM for the next 25 hours..

Do you guys think we will need to continue to tow the a/c out to the runway? We plan on moving the plane to our home base and the runway (given the winds) should be a 3 minute taxi - is this too much??

Now, my next question, the ECI break in recommends 100 hours of "break in flying."

How do these 100 hours need to be flown?

30 minutes at 75%
Then the 10 minute interval power settings

Until the 100 hours are out?

Thanks

Jeff

Break-in

The first hour or so is the critical time. The ECI instructions are fine, make yourself a note with the basics and stick it in the cockpit. As you can see, there are two factors in the initial break-in. Keeping the power up, and the temps down. After the first flight I wouldn't worry about a short taxi to the runway. Just don't let it sit for a long time at idle. Some people don't understand running the new parts at high power settings right out of the box, but if you don't the rings may not "seat' correctly. They need the combustion pressure to seal and break-in properly.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The first hour or so is the critical time. The ECI instructions are fine, make yourself a note with the basics and stick it in the cockpit. As you can see, there are two factors in the initial break-in. Keeping the power up, and the temps down. After the first flight I wouldn't worry about a short taxi to the runway. Just don't let it sit for a long time at idle. Some people don't understand running the new parts at high power settings right out of the box, but if you don't the rings may not "seat' correctly. They need the combustion pressure to seal and break-in properly.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I agree. I've rebuilt an O-360 and an IO-360 and followed ECI instructions and had no problems. If you have a good engine monitor, you will 'see' when the rings seat as the CHT temps will drop.

Why "minimal power" for Takeoff?

Ok guys-

- Start the plane, run through a good run up and get the plane in the air ASAP.. The "get it into the air" process seems to be: Minimal power for takeoff until 40KIAS, then gradual power to achieve best climb speed, once this is attained, maintain this and climb to ~3000AGL.. Once at altitude 30 minutes at 75% power need to elapse. Once this is elapsed, power needs to be alternated for another 20 or so minutes - 10 minutes at 65% another 10 at 75% and vice versa. During all of this temps, pressures, etc need to be noted.. Once this is complete, it's time to come back in for the "engine check over." Oil consumption noted, etc..

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff- Wondering why you would use "minimal" power for takeoff, and how you would determine what that power is? FWIW, I would gradually apply power toward maximum, with the goal of the highest power I could handle for Takeoff, and basically run the engine hard for the first few hours. High MP's are what counts.

I guess I'm asking, why "stagger" into the air at less than full power on your first takeoff? :confused:

We are not equipped with a "good engine" monitor.. We do have CHT and EGT guages, but no spiffy engine monitors.. :)

I guess I'm asking, why "stagger" into the air at less than full power on your first takeoff? :confused:

Well, the ECI directions recommend using minimal power to get to 40KIAS and then easing it in to full power...

I do not plan on staggering into the air.. :D

I feel better already! :D Your previous post didn't mention "full" power, and I wasn't quite sure what you had planned. I'll sleep well tonight!

You are right, I didn't say that, I should have specified.. :)

Yes, I will not take off with anything less than full take off power..

I just won't cob the power, not that I do right now, but I will be extra gentle with the power application and let it build airspeed to 40KIAS and then introduce full power slowly.. :)

Another question I have been thinking about is how best to handle the pattern work on this flight.. I would assume since idle on the ground needs to be avoided (mainly due to lack of cooling?) that it would not hurt it to idle as normal in the pattern? I do not of course plan on doing touch and goes, but what would be the best thing for flying the pattern? A little bit more power all the way around or just a standard pattern with standard power settings?

I really don't want to botch these rings.. :)

Last edited:
Pattern Work

Again, FWIW:

First, on takeoff, 40 kts will come quickly, and I personally wouldn't be looking at the airspeed, I'd be looking down the runway, especially in a tail-dragger.:p

On a first flight, I am assuming that you will only do one landing. IIWM, (If It Were Me), I'd take off, circle the airport within gliding distance at high power for about 15 minutes, monitoring T's & P's. Anything unusual, Land.

After about :15 or so, I'd get far enough away from the airport to do just a short amount of "slow flight", and then back to the airport at high power. Descend early, carrying power, so as to be able to slow down without pulling the power back for an extended time. Pulling a couple of "G's" helps to slow the plane.

Upon arrival at the airport, I'd make a "normal" landing. Short taxi, and shut-er-down. Max flight time around 30-40 minutes. Thorough inspection with the cowl removed, then do it again, longer flight duration. Again: High MP is the key to a good break-in.

My reasoning for a normal landing is, if you try to do something different, that you haven't done before, it increases the chances of what we call in aviation: a "Screw Up".

A short time at the lower power settings needed for landing won't hurt anything. A botched landing due to non-standard power setting could very well hurt something.

YMMV: This is just one old man's opinion.

Most of all, ENJOY your first flight!!!!!!!! Take time to go: "Yeee-HAAAH !!!

Pete-

This will only be the first flight with these new cylinders.. I have a around 200 hours in the plane.. :)

Sounds like everything you have mentioned is pretty much what I've been going over in my head..

We were going to do it today, but scrubbed the flight, looks like tomorrow is a go though..

Thanks for the help..

Jeff

I would be doing a very short full power run up before I ever took the plane into the air. How else are you going to know if there are any problems with the engine. The first few feet in the air is a terrible place to find out the engine has a problem. Also a short taxi out to the runway at or just above idle will not hurt your new cylinders. Also it will make sure the oil has started to warm up. Taking off with low oil temps can also cause engine damage. Have a good safe flight.

Pete,

After a few hours, check the torque on the exhaust, intake, and valve cover bolts. Do that again at 50 hours, again at 100, then every condition inspection.

Well guys -

She flies.. We got to fly her yesterday and were able to put about an hour on her before we had other obligations to tend to..

Everything went off without a hitch! ;)

ECI recommendations

ECI has some very specific guidance re break in of new cylinders, see guidelines. 25 hrs since teardown on my RV-6, new cylinders, pistons, etc., and O-360 engine runs great.

Just curious guys - does anyone know how long the regimen of keeping the engine at say full throttle for 10 minutes and then another throttle setting at 10 minutes, etc must go on before the plane can be flown like "normal?"

We currently have right at 6 hours on the new cylinders...

Just run your engine at 75% in cruise till the oil consumption stablizes. At this point drain the oil and refill with AD type. Then fly it anyway you want to. The engine will be broken in.

Back