What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear spar attachment

rvator9a

Well Known Member
I am currently working on the fuselage bulkhead that the rear spar bolts to behind the seats. the issue I am concerned with is that the straight spar attach piece is 1/8 of an inch longer on each side than the bent piece (f605k I think). My question is, how far does the rear spar slide into this space and will I have enough edge margin to drill the mounting bolt hole, or is 1/8 of an inch not an issue. Thanks Bob Collins

F705b/f706c

Bob,

An 1/8" in this area could cause heartache down the road. When you drill the rear spar to this attachment, you have to have edge clearance for the hole that gets drilled. At that point in the process you wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

I would order new ones and position them to be even on the ends. It _may_ not be a big deal _but_ if you drill those holes down the road and there isn't enough edge distance, then what?

Rear spar attach tabs...

Look at the print, drawing 38, section G-G, in the upper right corner and you will see that you have to angle cut the ends of these tabs to clear the rib and the upper wing skin brace on the rear spar of the wings.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
(In the paint shop)

Back