What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New product from Evercoat

N916K

Well Known Member
I talked to the rep from Evercoat a few days ago at SEMA. There is a new product coming out to replace Glaze Coat. It is a 10:1 mix instead of a 50:1 like Glaze Coat. This means much less pin holes and a longer pot life (not sure why it has less pin holes but they where very proud of it). They also have a dispenser that squeezes out the correct ratios of the two.

I posted this because I just spent untold hours sanding down my cowling and wheel pants after covering them with Glaze Coat, just to find out I still have pin holes. Much less than before but I get to do it all over again.

Cam

I swear guys, scuff sand, do three wet-on-wet squeegee coats of epoxy, and you won't have any pinholes.

I swear guys, scuff sand, do three wet-on-wet squeegee coats of epoxy, and you won't have any pinholes.

I dealt with the pinholes in the original layup that way, but the pinholes I'm talking about is from the filler/flox/micro, whatever process you are using to blend and shape. Personally I like using micro and West Systems, but the problem comes up when time because an issue. Recently I've been on the road with work quite a bit. Sunday I had all day to work on the plane. I needed to fill a few pin holes and blend a reinforcement that I layed up. Being able to sand in less than an hour after I applied the filler let me get a few rounds in and get the cowling ready for paint later this week. Maybe some people get all the fill done in one round but for me, fiberglass is an iterative process.

Gel coat?

I was doing some repair work on my boats gel coat this weekend. This made me wonder if any of the RV guys have thought of or tried using gel coat for 'glass finish work. You have to cover it with a film of some type or spray it with PVA but it comes out really nice and smooth. Would this be too heavy? or would it be prone to cracking? Just a thought.

I talked to the rep from Evercoat a few days ago at SEMA. There is a new product coming out to replace Glaze Coat. It is a 10:1 mix instead of a 50:1 like Glaze Coat. This means much less pin holes and a longer pot life (not sure why it has less pin holes but they where very proud of it). They also have a dispenser that squeezes out the correct ratios of the two.

I posted this because I just spent untold hours sanding down my cowling and wheel pants after covering them with Glaze Coat, just to find out I still have pin holes. Much less than before but I get to do it all over again.

Cam

So there was another RVator at SEMA. I had my toolboxes there in booth# 12536. I always wonder how many people that I talk to at trade shows may in fact have RV's. I guess I am the prodical in the group now with my Columbia 350.

I was doing some repair work on my boats gel coat this weekend. This made me wonder if any of the RV guys have thought of or tried using gel coat for 'glass finish work. You have to cover it with a film of some type or spray it with PVA but it comes out really nice and smooth. Would this be too heavy? or would it be prone to cracking? Just a thought.

I'm doing an experiment with a spray on gel coat product right now. So far the results look promising.

So there was another RVator at SEMA. I had my toolboxes there in booth# 12536. I always wonder how many people that I talk to at trade shows may in fact have RV's. I guess I am the prodical in the group now with my Columbia 350.

Should have had your RV hat on. What company where you there with? I have a dyno lab that needs new tools.

Cam

Back