What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS antenna mounting under cowl?

szicree

Well Known Member
I'd love to hear opinions or see pics of GPS antenna mounts under the cowl. Thanks guys (and you know who :D).

I'd love to hear opinions or see pics of GPS antenna mounts under the cowl. Thanks guys (and you know who :D).

I (like many others) copied Dan's install. Working great with my GNS-430 after a few years of flying.

Same here, but I made mine wider to accommodate two antennas. If you're using the stock hinge-pin method of cowl attachment on top, make sure to leave room to the the pins in and out past the antennas.

Jury is out

On how well a WAAS antenna will work in that location however.

Frank

Makes me nervus

When I bought my airplane it had one under the cowl. Seems like an elegant solution, but I started worrying after thinking about it a while.

Although they may hold up well, those antenna are not designed for the heat and thermal cycling of the engine area. I feel safer with it inside the cockpit.

I have one double side taped to the top of the glare shield, just like my weather antenna. Sky access is at least as good as the under cowl solution.

The under cowl antenna is still there, but I don't use it.

Had mine for 500+ hrs

and still works great. Regarding the heat issue, have you ever tried to put your hand on an antenna mounted on the glare shield when it has been sitting in the sun for a few hours? Ouch! I don't think it gets much hotter under the cowl with all the airflow going thru there.

I probably worry too much

...I don't think it gets much hotter under the cowl with all the airflow going thru there.

Probably true.

I'm used to thinking of the reliability of electronics in terms of thousands or tens of thousands of hours. That thinking doesn't necessarily apply here.

Still, after your comment I'll probably cover both antenna with something white

Back