What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Charging system problem cuts short my "Excellent Adventure"

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
I first flew to Memphis to enter the Memphis 100 race. I did it.

Then on to Atlanta to visit family. The next day I flew to Kitty Hawk. That was uneventful other than flying over water and turbulence on approach and departure from the 15 knots gusting 25. An aerial view is here:

KittyHawkAirSmall.jpg

This is my aircraft with the memorial in the background:

KittyHawkGroundSmall.jpg

I thought they took off from the hill but no. It was flat terrain north of the hill. The starting point is here:

FirstStartSmall.jpg

And the end of the first flight here:

FirstEndSmall.jpg

I refueled at an airport west of Kitty Hawk and planned on getting back to Atlanta right around sunset. Unfortunately, around Rayleigh the voltage went to just over 12 and the amperage went negative. I had been hearing a static like popping since leaving Kitty Hawk and someone suggested that it was arcing from the failure.

I told approach that I was getting lower than the approaching cloud deck and decided to make a precautionary landing at Sanford NC (KTTA). No mechanics were around so I got a rental car and went into town for the night.

The next morning I replaced the voltage regulator with no success so I removed the lower cowl and found that the battery ring terminal wire on the alternator B point was fatigued and broken. It was previously bent to make proper contact.

I had a mechanic install a new ring terminal but that did not make the alternator work. Using advice from a primo mechanic at home (and not being able to find a replacement alternator), I bought a battery for my blazer, wire, ring terminals and added the new battery in parallel with my aircraft battery.

Nothing blew up so I prepared to leave (1.5 days after landing there). The engine started normally and to my surprise the alternator worked. It worked all the way home with four restarts.

On this trip I flew below an overcast with less than 6000? between me and the ground (perhaps 1500?). I flew over a broken cloud layer. I flew in less than 100 nm visibility. As I approached Springfield MO towards sunset, I descended thinking that I was about to overfly a cloud layer. Nope. It was haze. Silly me. It made more sense to stay where I could see ground to the sides anyway.

I flew over water near Kitty Hawk while under an overcast. Scary.

I had planned on going to Key West and the Bahamas but elected to get home to fix the alternator problem. TS Noel would have kept me from doing that anyway.

In retrospect, the alternator to bus wire/ring terminal should have been made better long ago. That will be corrected. I am now in the process of trying to decide which readily available alternator I will install. The current one will not fly again.

I also did not know what my safe flying time was when the ring terminal broke. Perhaps I could have flown another two hours (4-5 amp current draw and one EI) on a PC925 battery. But since I did not know for sure, I played it safe and landed at the nearest airport.

With the truck battery, it may well be 20 hours. Regardless, I did buy a battery charger just in case.

I did find out that the RV community is awesome. Three guys stopped by to offer assistance (I did the repairs on the ramp). The FBO at Sanford was great as was the mechanic shop.

Stopping at new airports is fun. I expanded my flight experience beyond CAVU but nowhere near scud running. The haze illusions were baffling but I just reacted with safe flight adjustments.

Sounds like a really good trip actually. A lot of seasoning in a short period of time!:)

Great writeup Ron.

We changed out Vans alternator out for the 60 amp Plane Power alternator. Seems really well built and installation was really easy. So far so good.

On this trip I flew below an overcast with less than 6000? between me and the ground (perhaps 1500?). I flew over a broken cloud layer. I flew in less than 100 nm visibility. As I approached Springfield MO towards sunset, I descended thinking that I was about to overfly a cloud layer. Nope. It was haze. Silly me. It made more sense to stay where I could see ground to the sides anyway.

Nice article, Ron, and welcome to flying in the moist Eastern US...when we get 20 miles viz we think we have a superbly clear day!

By the way you probably need to call Doug and give him a hard time. Seems I recall the alternator B lead breaking on the Easter Egg at Dunnellon, FL, and needing "repair" on the way to S-N-F a few years back. :)

I only have myself to blame for the failure

I should have realized that the bent ring terminal and inadequate wire slack was wrong and fixed it years ago.

Yes this was a significant expansion of my flying comfort zone. Sort of. I knew that behind me was always ok and where nearby airports were. But I will admit that the haze and interaction with the sun did fool me.

And more than once I considered returning home before I even got to Memphis.

Back