What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing removal

Dirtbos

I just watched the video on RV-12 wing removal with my wife. Does anyone have a guestimate of the weight of the wings (actually one wing during removal)? She is not sure she could handle her end.

No idea but...

I've no idea Dirtbos, but if my tiny little wife can help me move around an RV-8 wing, then surely an RV-12 wing should present no problems. There can't be that much difference. Of course, it wasn't painted and nor did it have fuel in it (which a flying -12 might), but it was rigged with the flap and aileron. She didn't find it easy, and we had to plan short moves with stop and rests where she could put her end (the tip end) down on something, but she did it...

I just helped put wings back on a -4 and they were remarkably light. Only challenge was the wing tip made it a little hard to keep a solid grip.

Take a tip from the sailplane guys-----they use a strap on dolly, makes for single person assembly/disassembly.

On the -12, the fuel is carried in the fuselage not the wings, so they should not be that heavy.

Thanks for the input

I appreciate everyone?s input.

A "dolly" or a rolling table of the right height would make it fairly easy. Thanks Mike. Once the spar is in place, I could tip the wing into position while my wife puts in the pins. I'll have to stop by and see how the sailplane guys are doing theirs.

I?m looking at the 12 as a way to ?get my wings back?. I haven?t flown consistently for the last few years (have a Private Single Engine ticket). Costs grounded me.

I now have the ability to handle those costs. The 12 will give me hours (and help me get my skills back) while I build a 7A. That?s the plan, as long as I can retain my Medical. If not, the 12 looks to be a great little airplane and would serve me as long as I can fly.

Blue skies.

Mike Allen

On the -8, the wing tips are very light. I think anyone over about 10 should be able to handle it. The wing root is quite a bit heavier due to the thicker spars and fuel tank assembly.

I've noticed that the -12 prototype has a handle that sticks up at the wing tip. I'm sure this is to assist in handling the tip during wing removal and installation. Not sure if it will be part of the production kit. I'm betting that the wing will be very light and most adults will have no problem assisting.

Karl

Handle?

I've noticed that the -12 prototype has a handle that sticks up at the wing tip. I'm sure this is to assist in handling the tip during wing removal and installation. Not sure if it will be part of the production kit. I'm betting that the wing will be very light and most adults will have no problem assisting.

Karl

A handle would definately help. I went back and viewed the clip. The assistant makes good use of it. Even if it is not standard, it would not be to hard to add.

Thanks

Mike

Amen!

Alex you are so right. I was helping people put on/take off wings today, and it is a pain for someone like me (5'6" 140 lbs). At the glider club where 'you help me, I help you' reigns, it works out okay, but how often do you get together with your airplane buddies and spend the first hour assembling airplanes and then performing a positive control check?

I think Van will pull it off though, they are pilots and they think ahead on this sort of thing. People will get used to dry wings and a wet fuselage, and the number of other design improvements that will affect assembly/function will probably set a new standard in the kit world. To paraphrase SNL, "Van puts his pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us; except when his pants are on, he makes amazing airplanes, MORE COWBELL." (PS, that comment seemed funny at the time)

Jeff

Back