What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

maintenance...

777Dave

Well Known Member
I'm going to contact TC this week but was just wondering if anyone could fill me in as to the government regulations regarding owner maintenance of a homebuilt a/c that was purchased as opposed to built. Van's website says that only the builder (not purchaser) can work on the a/c. Same in Canada?

Thanks;
Dave

Don't know about Canada, but in the US, anyone can do maintenance on an experimental amateur-built aircraft. The annual condition inspection must be done by the builder (if he/she holds a repairman certificate for that particular aircraft) or a certificated mechanic with an A&P rating.

"amateur built"

Van's website says that only the builder (not purchaser) can work on the a/c. Same in Canada?

Dave,

In Canada, there is no distinction between a builder and purchaser regarding the maintenance of the aircraft.. As far as I know, the owner of an "amateur built" can do owner maintenance and sign off the inspection just like the builder. Always best to give TC a call though and confirm.

How about U.S. built and registered experimentals? Can you buy them and re-register them?

What if I came to Canada and worked for a Canadian company? Could I bring my RV and fly it? Would I just keep it U.S. registered?

Karl

That would be up to the Canadian CAA. Your US operating limitations state that to operate your experimental amateur-built in or over a foreign country, you must have written permission from that country's CAA aboard the aircraft. I know you can bring a Canadian built home-built into this country and get a US airworthiness certificate. I've done several. I'm not familiar with Canadian rules, but I suspect they are similar.

How about U.S. built and registered experimentals? Can you buy them and re-register them?

Karl,

If you were a Canadian resident, you could buy a used homebuilt aircraft with at least 100 hours flight time and re-register it is as a Canadian "amateur built". There would be an inspection by MD-RA including the fees associated with this.

As opposed to the US, the new owner would be able to sign off on the annual condition inspection.

Ok, now for the second part of my question...

I work for a Canadian company and could possibly transfer to Alberta. Could I bring my RV and fly it in Canada? Sounds like if I get permission from the government, I could do it. Anyone know a U.S. citizen living/working in Canada and flying an Experimental?

Since I'm not going to become a citizen (assuming I would be on a work visa), I assume I would keep the N-number. Just wondering what my options are.

Karl

thanks!

All very informative and quick answers, thanks you.
As mentioned,I will call Transport Canada (our FAA) and MD-RA to get confirmation and I will try to find out about flying your American reg. a/c up here.
Dave

PS: I am looking for a 4 ;)

amateur built

Karl,

If you were a Canadian resident, you could buy a used homebuilt aircraft with at least 100 hours flight time and re-register it is as a Canadian "amateur built". There would be an inspection by MD-RA including the fees associated with this.

As opposed to the US, the new owner would be able to sign off on the annual condition inspection.

This information has been verified by TC... you can maintain and annual a homebuilt here in Canada even if it was imported, already built from the U.S.

As far as bringing an American a/c up here to fly while you are here, you need a licence validation from TC and also a Permanent flight Authority to fly your Amateur built here in Canada. Best to call them.

Back