What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Central Missouri builders?

flyingchuck

Anyone actively building an RV near the Columbia Missouri area? I would love to come observe/help/ask questions.

I've been looking at flying and RV's for several years, but something about college and getting married put everything on hold. Now that we have two good incomes, I knocked out the pilots license this year and, after 100 hours, am already tired of the Spamcan 172 with its smoking 110 knots of cruise speed on 9 gal/hour. So......

ON TO THE NEXT

Originally the RV8 is what I was sold on building, love the idea of centerline seating, etc. However, one quick question of "Honey, would you rather stare at the back of my head and have great side-to-side visibility on those long (but way shorter) trips, or would you rather sit by my side?" yielded the inevitable answer. ;) So, RV7 it is.

Since I operate strictly on the cash-only basis, it will be a couple months before I can get my shop finished and the Emp ordered. However, I would love to get some observation and brain-picking time with a current builder.

I'm also wondering about the possibility of getting a demo ride. I am willing to fly anywhere in Missouri from KVER and will gladly pay any flight expenses.

Last edited:
RV Projects in MO

I'm not familiar with any projects near Columbia, but you can try the link on Dan Checkoway's website (http://www.rvproject.com/registry/rvfinder.jsp) to locate owners near you. This is an outstanding site if you're considering building an RV. A quick search of his search tool pulled up quite a few near you. You might also check with your local EAA Chapter.

I belong to EAA Chapter 91 at the Lee's Summit Airport (KLXT). We meet at 7pm on the third Monday of each month and have a total of three EAA hangers (two finished and one under construction). Three RVs (flying 8 and 9A and almost finished 7) as well as Zenith 601 and 701 projects, flying Sonex, Zenith 601, Thorp T18, etc. are stored in the Chapter hangers.

Other RVs (4 and 6A) and some composite planes and projects are on the field but are in other hangers so access depends on member availability.

Additional RV project planes are at each member's home, some of which are a short drive from the airport (one guy has an RV7A QB about ten minutes east of the airport and I've just started my RV8 empennage about fifteen minutes east of the airport) so if you want to check out a workshop that's another possibility with a little coordination.

Let me know if you're interested in heading this way and I'll see what I can set up.
Mike

RV6A

I'm also in Chapter 91, based at Lee's Summit and fly a 6A. Come on over and meet with us sometime. We can go for a ride in my 6a, if you like?

Right now I'm spending weekday evenings (after work) & Saturdays helping to build the hangar so you are likely to find us there most any day.

Just let us know!!!!:D

Keith

Keith and Transporter,

I have to fly down to Neosha on Thursday morning, but I have the afternoon free. Are either one of you available Thursday afternoon/early evening?

Thursday

Thursday afternoon works for me. I'm just getting started on my 8 empennage but you're welcome to take a look at the kit, plans, shop, etc.

Let me know when and where you want to link up; sent you my phone# in an earlier PM.

I should see Keith and some of the other RVers this afternoon when I'm at the airport and will check to see who's in town Thurs. I also have access to our EAA chapter hangers and can let you in to take a look at a 7 (scheduled for FAA inspection Thursday!), 8 (flying), and 9A (flying).

See you then,
Mike

Thursday evening

I get off work aorund 4:30pm and usually arrive at the airport shortly after 5pm. However, tomorrow may be move-in day at our new hangar so there could be some activity there.

When you land at LXT look for an open east facing hangar on the western edge.

Thanks Guys!

A big thank-you to Mike, for letting me come and see his shop and ask questions.

A big thank-you to Keith for giving me my first RV ride!! I flew over to (LXT) in a 182, then flew the RV6.... oh my, what a difference! Such a great handling airplane!

After some thinking and discussion with my wife, our mission is family cross-countries. An RV10 really suits our needs for that future. (kids will be coming along in the next couple years) I would HATE to build a -7 or -8 and then sell to build an RV10... makes more sense to save the sporty/aerobatic plane as a second plane on down the road. Can't wait to get started!

Thanks again guys!!

Any Time

Charlie,
Feel free to drop by any time you're in the area.

I was able to spend most of the week working on the empennage and made some major progress since you were here. HS skin is now on (done except for riveting on the rear spar). VS skin is on (done except for riveting on the rear spar). Rudder skin stiffeners are on, and the rudder skeleton is done. I plan to do the final bend on my rudder skin this weekend and ask one of the other builders for a quality control check before I button these up...no issues that I know of, but I'm new at this! Should have these three components done in the next week and be working on the elevators.

Bill's RV7 is flying now (flew last Sat.). RV8 chase plane had a hard time keeping up with his 210 hp and CS prop!

Hanger is done except for raking the dirt (scheduled for tomorrow).

You can't go wrong with any RV kit. I really like the 10 (and almost ordered one myself) so dive in!

Regards,
Mike

Just saw your post about your interest in an RV10. I live in Jeff City and have an RV10, still learning at this point. I'm legal to fly passengers and if you wish we might work out a flight. I had an RV 7A before. I'm up to Columbia a lot for the Mizzou games. There are several builders around central MO and planes flying. I'm the only 10 locally that I know of. email me at [email protected].

Great!

Chuck:

Glad you had fun! I'll be interested to see your progress. Keep us posted and visit when you can.

Regards,

Keith

Back