What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAB help!!!

ddurakovich

Well Known Member
OK,

Here we go again! Finally got to the real FWF stage, trying to cram everything in. Suddenly, I came to a screeching halt.

The clearance between the bottom of the carb and the cowling is about 1.5 inches! Gonna be real tough stuffing the FAB in there!

The cowling is circa 1991, and says RV-4 C/S on in (I bought the project last year...). Other than the scoop having been put in a little off center (by the factory I assume, I doubt the original owner did anything there), it appears to be fairly standard. Is there something I'm missing?

Engine is a standard O-360 A1D, MA4-5 carb, nothing at all special that I can tell, sump appears to be standard also.

Of course it's a long weekend, and I can't call Van's for 3 more days!!!!!

If this is a vintage of cowling that didn't use (or couldn't use) a FAB, suggestions???

FAB Scoop

My cowl is similar vintage, but non c/s. Early cowls had a different air inlet, before the FAB airbox was developerd. You may have this type of cowl. If so, you will need to purchase from Van's a FAB 360 cowl inlet to graft on to the bottom of the cowl. I had to do this also, not much pain apart from more f'glass work. The FAB type cowl is quite bulbous and flat on the bottom to accomodate the airbox, original is more of a straight pitot type intake. Look at some pictures of RVs and you will see what your cowl should look like with FAB airbox and inlet.

Happy 'glassing!

Fab

I agree.. you have the old 0-320 cowl with fgthe little scoop. My RV-4 kit came like that and I ordered the 0-360 scoop. I spent a lot of time cutting out the old scooop and glassing the new on in place. But then tghe old cowl fit so poorly anyway, I ended up trashing it and buying a new cowl from Van's (S-glass). The scoop was already molded in and it actually fit perfect with little modification.

Two weeks ago I finally hauled the old cowl to the trash dumpster after it sat in my basement for 5 years!

Doug

Back