What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

noise from electrics

canadian rver

I'm New Here
I purchase a rv7 a month ago and I have a lot of noise through my headsets from the electrics. The boost pump and the strobes give a lot of noise. It is back ground noise but still bothersome. Any suggestions please.

Noise

I'd start by checking for any electrially poor connections anywhere in the charging and bus bar wiring. Take some joints apart and clean them up with some sandpaper. Does your airplane have a common ground near or at the negative battery terminal for the noisey equipment? A common ground point can eliminate ground current loops which can generate noise. Assure that the alternator and engine are well (really, really well) grounded to the airframe. Don't rely on the structure alone. Should have a dedicated ground braid to the engine. Most people don't run a ground braid from the engine to the alternator, but I did and I don't have any noise. Coincidence? Maybe. This is on my PA-12 on which I installed an alternator 15 years ago. I think Bob Nuckolls has a chapter in his book "AeroElectric Connection" regarding noise reduction. http://www.aeroelectric.com/ Good luck.

Back