What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

avionics cooling

My panel has two GRT display units, an AHRS, GNS 430, 327 Xponder, audio panel, ICOM A-200, an an autopilot that all use power and generate heat, and I have had no problem with not having any active cooling in 600 hours and two years of flying around the Texas Gulf Coast.

Of course, YMMV, and I could suffer a big melt-down any day, but I have not feel that I needed to add anything active.

Paul

Dynon self heats

do any of you have/wish you had an avionics cooling fan for our warm climate?

In an earlier post, the question was asked why Dynon 180 clicks and gets warm. Dynon's reply was that is normal and it self-heats.

Regards,

James,
We have a cooling fan for our radios and transponder in our -10. You can come look at it if you want.

What kinda idea would it be to use a small duct coming from one of the vent ducts up to the avionics? Any feedback would be appreciated, my friend thought of doing this and I really can't see any draw backs. No fan, but you would get constant air.

Avioncs cooling

I've been mulling this over myself. I may fabricate a fitting from aluminum that T's off of the two inch cabin vent hose and feeds a one inch scat tube that will be directed, via a series of Y's, to the Dynons and radios. I like this better than a cooling fan ($$, weight) but it needs a valve to turn it off or damp it down in the winter. I haven't quite figured out how to fabricate a butterfly valve in the narrow confines of a one inch tube. Anybody done this? Ideas? Heat is the number one enemy of avionics. Cooler is better.

Certified aircraft

What kinda idea would it be to use a small duct coming from one of the vent ducts up to the avionics? Any feedback would be appreciated, my friend thought of doing this and I really can't see any draw backs. No fan, but you would get constant air.

My Grumman Tiger essentially does this using a small extra external scoop (factory standard).

gil A

Hot Avionics

On my first RV I found that after shut down with warm avionics and sun heating the black glareshield the behind the panel air temperature remained quite high for an extended period due to a lack of air circulation.

Second RV has two air vents on top of glareshield, each a circular pattern of 3/8" holes totaling about 3" in diameter. I know there is air circulation because when taxiing out in humid conditions I can see the mini defroster effect on the windshield and I believe this keeps behind the panel temps down during flight.

Back