What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

User Fees in Oregon?

Martin Sutter

Well Known Member
Last August while returning from Alaska we stopped in Oregon for the Van's homecoming fly-in. During a fly-out to Pacific City my wife signed the guest book at the unattended airstrip there. Today we received a letter fro the Oregon Department of Aviation requesting I fill out a pilot registration form and pay a 10$ fee. The letter states that any pilot flying for pleasure in Oregon must register every year even if he is not a resident if he at any time during the year operates in Oregon. Reference is made to statute 837.020.

Has anybody else encountered this? What a pain in the rear it would be if every state did this. We travel extensively with our RV and have never run into this before. My inclination is to ignore this and see what happens.

Martin Sutter
flying RV's for 2,700 hrs all over the US and Canada

Fuggidaboudit

Last August while returning from Alaska we stopped in Oregon for the Van's homecoming fly-in. During a fly-out to Pacific City my wife signed the guest book at the unattended airstrip there. Today we received a letter fro the Oregon Department of Aviation requesting I fill out a pilot registration form and pay a 10$ fee. The letter states that any pilot flying for pleasure in Oregon must register every year even if he is not a resident if he at any time during the year operates in Oregon. Reference is made to statute 837.020.

Has anybody else encountered this? What a pain in the rear it would be if every state did this. We travel extensively with our RV and have never run into this before. My inclination is to ignore this and see what happens.

Martin Sutter
flying RV's for 2,700 hrs all over the US and Canada

Martin,

Oregon has no way to collect that from you. We who have aircraft based in Oregon are *supposed* to pay it once a year... This is the first I've heard of them randomly tagging aircraft tho...

The good news for us is that there is no prop tax here on aircraft. Bad news is that we have a 9% (gulp!) income tax

Fly on...

Jerry

Oregon fees

We've flown into Oregon for many years, @ PDX, Aurora, Lenhardt, Eugene and Salishan and never encountered such a fee. Sorry it happened. Bill

Scam!!!

Don?t pay this, that Mail box you signed in at is open to the public, if someone got in there and sent everyone a bill they might rip off some bucks, I don?t sing in any where. And I don?t think OR has ever tried to register out of state pilots or planes and doubt they legally could.

Russ

This is very strange.

At our EAA meeting last night (Mulino, Oregon), I asked if anyone had heard of out of state pilots being charged a state landing fee. Know one had known of anyone every being charged, but some had heard rumors that it had been proposed.

I just called Oregon Department of Aviation. Why not get the answer from the source. There is a pilot and plane registration for Oregon pilots. The state had someone at the event trying to catch unregistered planes and took down all tail numbers. They told me that they had made a mistake in sending out a request for fee from Martin.

All is well. Please come back to Oregon. No fees by the state for landing here.

Kent

They told me that they had made a mistake in sending out a request for fee from Martin.

You would think that the state would send out another letter and confirm (apologize for) the mistake, especially if they really want people to fly back into Oregon in the near future.

What about the people that may have already sent in their check?

What they said.

You would think that the state would send out another letter and confirm (apologize for) the mistake, especially if they really want people to fly back into Oregon in the near future.

What about the people that may have already sent in their check?

The lady that claimed to have made the mistake, said that she had talked to Martin on the phone. Don't know how many mistakes they sent out or if they sent out apology letters.

I didn't get a letter myself as I am already registered in Oregon.

Did anyone from out of state (non-Oregon) get a bill and not a notice to ignore the request?

Kent

Back