What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice about pre-owned RV-6 kits

BillFear

Well Known Member
Hello, I am new to the forum, but have been watching RVs for years. I am considering a partially completed RV6 kit to save money and time. I would appreciate any advice that members are willing to offer on this subject. I know several planes have been completed this way! Where would I go to get an inspector who could verify quality of work and safety?

Bill in NC

Your best source for an opinion on a used kit would be someone who has already built an RV or someone with professional credentials (an IA or A&P).

There are probably more than a few people in your area who should fit the bill nicely.

The newer prepunched kits go together much faster, so you might not save much time depending on the status of the project.

On the other hand, you should save quite a bit of money vs buying a new or already started RV-7 kit.

Thanks Kyle for the input. I have read on the Vans website that prepunch can save 35% on time to assemble. Think its possible that Vans will ever do a pre-punch fuse for the 6 to help those still doing tails and wings?

Thanks Kyle for the input. I have read on the Vans website that prepunch can save 35% on time to assemble. Think its possible that Vans will ever do a pre-punch fuse for the 6 to help those still doing tails and wings?

To get *the* answer, you'd have to contact Vans, but I'm 99.9% sure Vans stopped development on upgrades to the -6 kits when they introduced the -7.

No matched hole for the -6, but you can get Quick Build wings and/or fuselage - the only way to go on the -6, IMO.

To get *the* answer, you'd have to contact Vans, but I'm 99.9% sure Vans stopped development on upgrades to the -6 kits when they introduced the -7.
As a matter of fact, this is the very reason Van came out with the -7. By combining the -9 fuselage and the -8 wing, he avoid building one complete kit (the -6).

kit vs already built

Bill, If you like to build then buy a kit. If you want to fly then consider buying an already built RV-6. You can purchase a flying plane as inexpensively as a kit that you will build. At least it is my observation that the time one puts in the building process is not reimbursed much (maybe not at all) in the selling price.

If you want to have the repairman's certificate then building is the only way to go. People will argue the 50% rule but do not let that put you off of purchasing any kit. A kit may be built by a group and then one person from the group will be able to get the certificate. I have never heard of an RV applicant for a Repairman's Certificate (RC) being turned down by the FAA.

If the RC is not a big deal and you want to fly next summer you have several months to find a good RV and probably would not spend much more than you would building (maybe less).

Good Luck

Bill, If you like to build then buy a kit. If you want to fly then consider buying an already built RV-6. You can purchase a flying plane as inexpensively as a kit that you will build. At least it is my observation that the time one puts in the building process is not reimbursed much (maybe not at all) in the selling price.

If you want to have the repairman's certificate then building is the only way to go. People will argue the 50% rule but do not let that put you off of purchasing any kit. A kit may be built by a group and then one person from the group will be able to get the certificate. I have never heard of an RV applicant for a Repairman's Certificate (RC) being turned down by the FAA.

If the RC is not a big deal and you want to fly next summer you have several months to find a good RV and probably would not spend much more than you would building (maybe less).

Good Luck

I agree completely. However, the feeling of flying the machine I built is more satisfying than building or flying. I have to pinch myself all the time.
I would think that taking a partially built or already started kit would give someone the same satisfaction. Regardless, there appears to be some real bargains on flying RV's for sale right now. Either there is a lot of junk out there (you are smart to be careful), or people are underselling in my opinion. In contrast, partial kits seem to be kind of spendy relative to finished airplanes.

PS.

Monday, October 15th, we have a dinner meeting at Cook House Restaurant, Shops on the Green, Cornelius, NC, off exit 28 at 7 pm. Come and join us.

cockpit room, RV6 vs RV7

Thanks for all the great feedback to this thread! I had the chance to sit in a really nice RV6 today and was a little surprised how tight it was at the shoulders. I am about 6' 195lbs, legroom and headroom was fine but it would definately be tight with two folks aboard. Can anyone comment on room in the 7 vs the 6, the vans specs are pretty much the same but I have heard the 7 is somewhat bigger?? While we are on the subject, how does the shoulder space in the tandem 4s and 8s compare to the 6.

Thanks for inputs
Bill

Cockpit width is exactly the same in the -6, -7, &-9. The -7 & -9 have slightly more head and leg room than the -6.

Size

As Mel said they all are the same in width. I have heard that the 8 is the "roomiest" because it gives you a bit more shoulder room. I find my 6A (the "A" is irrelevant) is tight. I am 6'4" and 200 lbs. I flew to OSH with another 6'4" (230 lbs) fellow and though tight it was OK. It is about the same as a C-152 width wise. You may want to look for an 8 to sit in if your initial impression was "tight." They never get bigger and "tight" may turn to "too tight" with the passage of time. Just my $0.02 worth. I would probably go with an 8 if I had it to do over.

As Mel said they all are the same in width. I have heard that the 8 is the "roomiest" because it gives you a bit more shoulder room. I find my 6A (the "A" is irrelevant) is tight. I am 6'4" and 200 lbs. I flew to OSH with another 6'4" (230 lbs) fellow and though tight it was OK. It is about the same as a C-152 width wise. You may want to look for an 8 to sit in if your initial impression was "tight." They never get bigger and "tight" may turn to "too tight" with the passage of time. Just my $0.02 worth. I would probably go with an 8 if I had it to do over.

I can't remember the exact # but I think a C-150/152 is only about 39 inches wide. You and your friend probably would not even fit in the Cessna.
If I remember correctly, at least some of the C-172 models were only about 41 inches wide at the front seats.

Same as my Tiger...

I can't remember the exact # but I think a C-150/152 is only about 39 inches wide. You and your friend probably would not even fit in the Cessna.
If I remember correctly, at least some of the C-172 models were only about 41 inches wide at the front seats.
Everyone looks at my Tiger in the hangar, and then looks at the RV-6A fuselage and comments how much smaller the RV cockpit is...

But, if you get a ruler out, the two planes are within 1/2 inch of each other between the cockpit rails...
I heard Van used to own a Cheetah at one time... does this have something to do with the measurements...:)

gil A

Last edited:
Shoulder room

Scott, you are correct. The C-152 is smaller.............felt the same to me and I should have looked. It probably felt the same because I was slimmer the last time I was in a 152! :D I did run across this site that gives a lot of dimensions for various planes. Thought others may enjoy it too. http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/cockpit.htm :)

Back